Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have a question about resting a laptop on your belly while

Customer Question

I have a question about resting a laptop on your belly while you are pregnant. I was working on my laptop in the car while someone else drove, for about 4 or 5 hours. I would work for an hour or so and take a break. The laptop got hot sitting on my lap, and part of the laptop was touching my abdominal area. (I didn't have enough room in the car to push the laptop toward my knees.) I found out the next day that I am pregnant, probably only about 4 weeks from my last period. I've read about hot showers and heating pads causing birth defects, and I'm wondering if I've increased the risks for birth defects for this pregnancy with the hot laptop touching my lap and abdomen.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. There is no good evidence of laptops causing birth defects. The heat generated would not be sufficient to affect the circulation to the placenta. Hot tubs (and possibly long, hot showers) are not recommended because they can drop one's blood pressure, which can reduce perfusion to the placenta and developing fetus. Most other forms of heat (e.g. heating pads) may be a danger to the skin, but not to the systemic circulation. If you need further reassurance, you should check in with your OB doctor about this as well.
Best wishes.
Doctor-Bob.
Follow up if you have any additional questions.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Did I answer your question? Do you have any follow up questions? Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.