Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I FELL ON THE ICE ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO AND LANDED ON THE SIDE

Customer Question

I FELL ON THE ICE ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO AND LANDED ON THE SIDE ON MY LEFT KNEE. I ICED IT AND DID BAND STRETCHES WITH MY LEFT ANKLE MOVING MY LEG UP AND DOWN WHILE SITTING ON A TABLE. THEN A WEEK AGO, I WAS WALKING DOWN A 45 DEGREE ANGLED HILL AND SLIPPED ON THE GRAVEL AND FELL AGAIN ON THE SAME AREA. I HAVE ICED THE KNEE AND REPEATED THOSE LEG EXTENSIONS AS WELL. NOW MY ANKLE GETS SORE AND THE AREA BEHIND MY KNEE IS HURTING. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Sorry to hear about your leg injury. Did you fully recover after the fall on the ice? Either way, it sounds as if your injury this time was a little different, both in terms of mechanism and symptoms. I would avoid stressing the knee until it is fully evaluated, preferably by a sports medicine or orthopedic specialist. One concern would be that you suffered an internal derangement (meniscal tear, ACL tear, etc) during your first fall that made you more vulnerable to the second one (and will make you more susceptible to future falls). These kinds of internal injuries may or may not hurt a lot but they always make the knee more unstable. An MRI of the knee would be very helpful in ruling out this type of injury, which would require specialize therapy or surgery to correct.