Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

If my wife has sudden loss of strength in one leg...but it

Customer Question

If my wife has sudden loss of strength in one leg...but it goes away after 1 minute...what should i do
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question. There are various neurological conditions that can cause one to lose strength suddenly in one leg lasting for about a minute or so as your wife is experiencing. For example intermittent compression of a major nerve or spinal nerve roots supplying the leg can do this. Unusual type of seizure can do this too. Seizures commonly present with shaking etc but there are rare type of seizures that can cause just weakness in one leg and the seizure symptoms resolve very fast as in your wife’s case. There may be other kinds of neurological problems involving the brain or spinal cord that too can cause intermittent short duration loss of strength in the leg as your wife is having. She needs to be seen by a neurologist so that she can receive a thorough clinical examination in the neurology clinic followed by certain relevant investigations like a Nerve and Muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test, and an MRI scan etc and once the exact cause is found out for her leg symptom then it is treated appropriately. And please see that intermittent episodes of sudden loss of strength in one leg does not automatically mean that there is an underlying serious condition, in fact on many occasions such symptoms are related to some non-serious treatable/curable conditions, however considering this is a new symptom so you guys may please see her clinic doctors preferably a neurologist as soon as possible so that she can receive a thorough clinical evaluation/clinical examination & certain relevant investigations as pointed above (EMG/Nerve conduction test, MRI scan etc) and then treated appropriately. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete cure so you guys may please try to see her clinic doctors including a neurologist as soon as possible. All the very best! Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question. Best regards,Customer