Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a headache seems like several days straight

Customer Question

I have had a headache for what seems like several days straight I take Ibuprofen and it subsides but I also get a droopy eyelid sometimes and knots on my forehead also my jaw on the left side aches
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Is it tender to press in the joint of the jaw?If you place your finger in the ear canal, press forward, and open and close the jaw, does it elicit pain?
The most common cause of a headache that persists for several days is a muscle contraction headache. However, when there is also pain in the jaw, there also should be consideration of a headache associated with inflammation of the joint at the jaw, the temperomandibular joint, or TMJ. I ask about tenderness in this area, because if it is present, it would increase the likelihood that it is related to TMJ disease. The ibuprofen is a reasonable medicine for either type of headache. Taking acetaminophen along with the ibuprofen would also be OK. There are stronger medicines available by prescription, but you would need to see your doctor for consideration of these medicines. If there is TMJ disease, then it is frequently related to underlying dental issues, so a visit with your dentist may also be appropriate. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the pain doesn't worsen when I put my finger in my ear
If there is no tenderness when pressing on the temperomandubular joint, then the headache is most likely a muscle contraction headache.