Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

One year post laminectomy, after which my

Customer Question

.One year post laminectomy, after which my classic sciatic symptoms mitigated but nerve pain from buttocks through to foot can be excruciating, aggravated by sitting. Walking no problem. PT stalled by hip openers worsening burning pain. Surgeon finally gave referral for MRI r/o piriformis by imaging sciatic nerve. Two radiology practices listed by him: one impossible to book, the other with several NYC locations. How do I know that this radiologist will be providing the best imagery and showing all aspects of the nerve as it travels through to my spine? I am a Medicare patient and wonder whether this determines what can be authorized? After an EXTREMELY frustrating and depressing year, I am still thankful that I can still walk my daily two miles, but travel, lectures, and attending performances of any kind, sedentary activities that were no problem beforehand are risky, so sadly, I often avoid them. Also, I had to greatly increase meds after surgery. Epidurals have been of minimal use, initially aggravating my pain The test is scheduled for 5/5/15, and I would like your advice. Thanks so much. Lucy 🌻

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lucy. Specifically, what advice do you need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 questions embedded in the above. I would appreciate answers if you are able.. Thanks so much. Lucy
1)There is really no way to know how good a radiologist is. This is a unique specialty where there are no patient surveys or interactions. So everything is by word of mouth. You have to trust the ordering physician that this guy knows what he is doing. 2)Absolutely. Medicare is strict these days and the doctor needs to provide proof that you need a specific test. They are a thorn in our side lets say. I deal with this daily in my practice.
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.