Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I was very sick with the respiratory flu this fall 2015 for

Customer Question

I was very sick with the respiratory flu this fall 2015 for 6 weeks. I started with significant left hip/back pain end of February. Now pain is dull and radiating down leg. Radicular sensation has now come in all extremities moving around off and on for last 4 weeks. Feel fatigued and shaky at times. No numbness and gait is normal. Low back MRI report was bone spurs, arthritis. Abdominal CT normal. Routine blood work normal. Friend has similar symptoms and was told this may be a result of the flu? What do yo think?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidflu viral infections can cause hip and back and joint aches and pains.I'm glad you had an MRI scan. I hope your MRI scan was with contrast.you must have meant fall of 2014 when you were sick.an MRI scan of your back without contrast can miss areas of nerve impingement sometimes.also if it was an open MRI scan, the image quality is not as good as a closed MRI scan.pain radiating down leg most often comes from pinched nerves in your lower back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not have contrast for the MRI- lower back scan only. Yes, it was fall of 2014. The radicular sensation is in all extremities. If it is a viral infection how is it diagnosed? What is the treatment?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
viral infections can be very difficult to impossible to diagnose.you would need an MRI scan of your cervical and thoracic spine with contrast if you are having radicular radiating nerve pain symptoms in your arms and legs.sometimes spinal stenosis in your neck spine can cause thisthis time ask for IV contast for your MRI scan