Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a 15 year old son who is socially fine, lots of friends.

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old son who is socially fine, lots of friends. His teachers say he does not self advocate he is very mellow and has always been. He does not seem to have any attachment issues with myself and my mom etc. but does not get in close relationships with people we have known for years. He is funny his teachers say he gets along with everyone. He plays football and is a wrestler and is about average. He does not get into trouble. Except for not completing his homework or turning it in. We recently started tutoring for english and after this last session (this is the third time that he has had tutoring and every time he forgets something - even if he writes it down. His tutor has an extensive background 20 years experience. Se is really upbeat and he likes her. After tonights session we spoke and she said that he was not normal and there was a major disconnect. She suggested he see a doctor and I google "brain disconnect, unable to draw conclusions to facts" she said she was not quite sure if this was neurological or physiological. I am looking to see if I can get some suggestions as to what this might be somewhat educated before I take him to a doctor
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She said he was very literal and and has never seen a case like this. I have not received any usettilng or alerting information regarding state test scores.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello! First of all I would keep in perspective that only one person has indicated a problem while you his parents see him as normal...other teachers apparently see him as normal...apparently friends see him as normal... So it seems to me more likely that everyone in his sphere of interaction is probably right and probably this one person may be wrong...Perhaps she may be over-interpreting a problem... Now kids may have learning disabilities ...dyslexia for example is not what most people think of but rather a weakness of a person's VISUAL OR AUDITORY processing of information ...this is a possible problem that may cause difficulty... Now part of the history sounds that the tutor was indicating that he was too literal.Being too literal can be a symptom of certain organic brain disease. A person may lose the ability to infer things or to understand a symbolic type reference --- What does it mean that people in class houses should not throw stones for example may be only read for a very literal interpretation in certain problems such as some stroke patients or traumatic brain injury patients or rent is for example...This could be the type of thing that the tutor may possibly refer to but I doubt this would be a problem going unnoticed for years in a gmypung person such as your son..he would not tend to understand jokes for example...he would probably NOT get along so well socially... So the history that you relay presented by the tutor could have potential to reflect a problem but I strongly doubt that this is really the case!!- I understand that such a report would be very disturbing. I suggest that you set him up for a check up with a neurologist to be sure. Call ahead and ensure that the specialist is aware of the nature of the concern. Mild trouble in school would not suggest to me that he had any major trouble with his cognitive functioning. That would be the question that seems raised.I more suspect that he may not have responded well to the tutor or paid attention to her. I suspect that the lack of attention to her led to this over-reaction on her part that he was not processing things as he should. The big picture that you give in your history does not suggest that he has such major problem. I hope that this makes sense and is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with yoh! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** actually noticed a few things in 7/8th grade he was diagnosed with ADD not ADHD upon taking the medication he became tired and somewhat depressed. He has a hard time following simple instructions. He just cant seem to ever get it together or be organized. He seldomly ever turns work in on time unless he is being asked for it. This is something that we have struggled with always. But luckily very few things seem to actually effect him. His dad jokes and says he was alway so hard to punish because you take something away from him and he doesnt care. Like I said he is super kicked back about everything. If any of this rings a bell, please let me know otherwise I will take your advise and see a neuro
Hello again-- The possibility of ADD or ADHD would make sense and is a common issue and not that serious. Being disorganized and not paying attention well are hallmarks. These are usually detected well by the Conner's questionnaires . There are several different classes of medications that may be helpful for ADD if he should have that issue. Strattera is an example and there are 5 different CLASSES of medications that may be tried.Ritalin is most common but there are other options if that did not work well for him. There are non pharmacological approaches that may help as well. I would not doubt that perhaps he may have an issue with some ADD. That is common and is not of a serious nature as the tutor's comments would seem to imply. A pediatric psychiatristcwould be a beneficial option for you as well. They could help with ADD treatment and be helpful to rule out other learning disability or any cognitive or emotional problem. I hope that this helps.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD