Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

A 50 year old friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Arachnoiditis

Customer Question

A 50 year old friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Arachnoiditis. She has been in pain for seven years, following several unnecessary surgeries. The back surgery was performed by an orthopedic surgeon, rather than a neurosurgeon. A new consulting doctor attributes her recently more severe pain to that surgery as a direct cause. The surgeon took out too much bone on her vertebrae at L4-L5, so only screws are holding the spine there.
She can't sit or stand, because of horrible pressure. The drive into work was so bad and sitting for eight more hours, forced her to stop working, because the pain is consuming.
My limited understanding of this is that it involves a swelling around the web of nerves that protect the spine in that L4-L5 specific area. I read that severe cases can cause paralysis. I would think that since the pain is from nerves, something is rubbing or causing pressure and therefore, I would think it could be cushioned, removed or numbed.
I am at wits end, because I can't do anything to stop her pain. There have to be specialists that can offer this woman help.
Thank you for anything you can offer.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
HelloPain specialists.Physical therapy as designed by a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor.Possible spinal implant. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was short and sweet. But, I'm looking for a little more:A 50 year old friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Arachnoiditis. She has been in pain for seven years, following several unnecessary surgeries. The back surgery was performed by an orthopedic surgeon, rather than a neurosurgeon. A new consulting doctor attributes her recently more severe pain to that surgery as a direct cause. The surgeon took out too much bone on her vertebrae at L4-L5, so only screws are holding the spine there.She can't sit or stand, because of horrible pressure. The drive into work was so bad and sitting for eight more hours, forced her to stop working, because the pain is consuming.My limited understanding of this is that it involves a swelling around the web of nerves that protect the spine in that L4-L5 specific area. I read that severe cases can cause paralysis. I would think that since the pain is from nerves, something is rubbing or causing pressure and therefore, I would think it could be cushioned, removed or numbed.I am at wits end, because I can't do anything to stop her pain. There have to be specialists that can offer this woman help.Thank you for anything you can offer.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
That is the same question. There is no specific cure for arachnoiditis. Physical therapy and pain management are the treatment.What other question do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I'm not satisfied that this woman will spend the rest of her life in pain. Someone must be specializing in this or perhaps conducting trials or experimentation field.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Spinal cord stimulation if all else fails.There is a current trial. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.