Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

It started three days ago. I woke up with a sore upper back/shoulders

Customer Question

It started three days ago. I woke up with a sore upper back/shoulders area. Felt like I slept wrong. It got a little worse yesterday morning when I woke up as it was on both sides. Took some ibuprofen and seemed to be better. Later last evening it really became sore to the point the back of my neck is so sore it is difficult to raise my head when laying down on my back. I need to roll to my side to get up.
The only other symptom is the gland on the right side of my neck is slightly inflamed. Not sure if it is related at all.
Is this anything to be concerned about?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If there are no other symptoms present, then this is not something for which there should be concern that it needs urgent evaluation by your doctor. It is appropriate to be concerned to the point that you are trying to ease the symptoms, but it would be OK to wait and see whether home interventions ease the symptoms before considering seeing your doctor.

These symptoms certainly could be due to sleeping is a position to strain these muscles, but there also may be a component of degenerative changes in the cervical spine.

Home interventions would include an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as the ibuprofen that you have taken or naproxen. It also may help to use local care, including the local application of ice, moist heat, massage, and ice massage.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.