healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I recently had a blood test at my doctors office and was informed

I recently had a blood test at my doctor's office and was informed that my CPK was high. I was asked if I have any aching muscles. I answered no, but later remembered that I have a constant lower back and leg ache. I have had surgery but continue to experience the pain. Could my elevated CPK be a result of my continuous back problem?

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Increase in CPK levels suggests that you might have damage to the muscle tissue.

healthydoc :

when a muscle is damaged, CPK leaks into the bloodstream. Determining which specific form of CPK is high helps doctor's determine which tissue has been damaged.

healthydoc :

As you had back surgery that can be one reason as having a history of lower back pain and if have nerve compression in lower back can also affect the muscle activity. These can also cause high CPK levels.

healthydoc :

I would suggest to follow up with your doctor regularly to monitor these levels.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. My goal is to provide an excellent service and I would be happy to answer your questions. Thank you.