healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

If someone is having numbness in the arm, is it possible to

If someone is having numbness in the arm, is it possible to relieve the symptoms with shock therapy?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 10 months ago.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Did you have CT scan of your neck?

healthydoc :

No shock therapy may not help to relieve the numbness in your arm. You need to first know what is causing the numbness.

healthydoc :

As you have numbness in your arm it can be either due to compression of the nerve in your neck or compression of the median nerve that can also cause numbness in your arm.

healthydoc :

I would suggest to see a neurologist if you have not seen. He can order EMG nerve conduction test to evaluate further.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can't ask more questions, because I'm calling for a young lady who works for me as a dog walker. I believe she is a patient at Kaiser.so.SF. and I don't know what tests they've run..

thanks for your answer. But I was dismayed when they suggested shock therapy. ,

I suggested that she ask to see a neurologist outside of the Kaiser system

Yes she needs to see a neurologist as it is very unusual to prescribe shock therapy for the numbness. It is very important to know the cause of numbness in order to treat it successfully. Most likely she has median nerve compression leading to such symptoms.

Please get back to me if you have any further questions and if satisfied please rate my answer positively. Thank you.
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician