Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

I have CIDP I would like to know the difference between this

I have CIDP I would like to know the difference between this condition and multiple sclerosis. The symptoms are quite similar from what I have been reading online, is there a possibility of misdiagnosis.

Many thanks
Lori
P.S I am a 50 year old female of Scottish decent
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience.

CIDP & MS cannot be misdiagnosed by a neurologist. I assume you have been seen by a neurologist already, if you were seen and examined by a neurologist then the possibilities of confusing cidp with ms is unlikely.

While the symptoms of cidp and ms may be similar but it is the clinical examination and investigation findings which will help in clinching the exact diagnosis. CIDP and MS will produce entirely different pattern of neurological examination findings and it is unlikely a neurologist will have any difficulty in differentiating cidp from ms during their clinical examination. And investigation wise; the ms is diagnosed with an MRI of the brain and the spinal cord and the cidp is diagnosed with an EMG/Nerve conduction test which is a nerve and muscle test.

If you have been seen a neurologist and the neurologist had examined you then it is unlikely the neurologist had any difficulties in clarifying whether your examination findings are from ms or whether from cidp. And after the clinical examination the investigations like mri and the emg nerve test will also considerably help. I guess you had an emg nerve test already, if you had no emg nerve test then you need it. If you already had the emg nerve test but no mri then you can ask your neurologist for an mri too. With these two tests there is no way of getting confused with ms versus cidp because these tests will always tell whether you have ms or cidp.

Regarding the treatment; not all patients respond to the same treatment so not responding to the treatment itself does not point towards misdiagnosis and sometimes we have to try different treatments and see which one is the best for you. I see that you had severe rash with IVIG otherwise it was an excellent treatment for cidp. And I see that you are now on pulse treatment of steroid Medrol. If you are not adequately responding to the Medrol then the additional treatment options for CIDP include one or more of the following;

Plasmapheresis

Azathioprine

Methotrexate

Mycophenolate etc

Once again to your main question, no, misdiagnosing ms to cidp is extremely unlikely if you have seen a neurologist and you have undergone a neurological examination because differentiating CIDP from MS is straightforward for a neurologist (even if the symptoms could be similar), also I assume you had a nerve test called emg test too, if you had this test then it is unlikely the cidp is a misdiagnosis, however if you still believe the ms might have been misdiagnosed as cidp then you can ask your neurologist for an mri of the brain and spinal cord and the mri should pick ms if you indeed have it. And regarding the treatments if your concern is the Medrol is not sufficiently helping then the above mentioned are some additional commonly used cidp treatments and you may discuss these treatment options with your neurologist.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine