healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

pain on root of big toe,

Hello Doc , Have the following problem : left foot , around big toe / phalange bone ...suddenly pain last night ..in afternoon had a yoga session but nothing else ..did not fall or struck anything ..suddenly pain started ..after applying warm and heating gel ..was better ..today afternoon soaked my foot in hot water with salt ..now suddenly more pain and the area of pain swell up ..painful to walk ..I can move the toes etc..just painful ..the outside of pain is reddish after applying Volatere gel like a red ring just about 1cm below where the big toe starts .. What should I do next ? Could it be capsulitis ? ...I can stand the pain ..no need any pain killers

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry that you're having this pain. Have you ever had this type of pain before?

healthydoc :

Many patients who have a history of gout present with the type of symptoms that you are describing. Gout flare ups can happen almost suddenly. The most commonly affected region is the big toe. It seems that you may have an inflammation of the joint. You most likely caused an inflammation of the skin by applying the gel. If the swelling is not getting better, you should visit the local emergency room. They will be able to give you something to help relieve the swelling.

Customer:

I never had such problems ...and the sweeling got bigger actually after taking the hot bath ..I do have elevated uric acid since years but never had any pronl

Customer:

Thanks ..the swelling got bigger actually after the hkt

healthydoc :

The fact that you have elevated uric acid makes the likelihood of gout that much higher. You need to be evaluated by a rheumatologist. He/she can make a formal diagnosis for you. You will most likely be placed on colchicine along with aspirin if it is gout.

healthydoc :

This will make the symptoms resolve.

healthydoc :

There is also the possibility of pseudogout.

Customer:

The swelling got actually bigger after the hot bath ..even the pain increased afterwards more . I do have elevated uric acid since years but not over limit .. last 2 we

healthydoc :

You most likely made the inflammation worse after the hot bath. I suggest that you make an appointment with your PMD who can then refer you to a rheumatologist.

Customer:

Last 10 days I did a good detox..feel great and just started with yoga ..sorry some problems with my em

Customer:

Thanks ..sorry , problems with internet ... I will see how it is tomorrow morning otherwise go see the doctor as you suggested

healthydoc :

No worries. It will improve, but you should seek a consultation with your PMD first. If it resolves and he/she does not see it then it may be hard to diagnose you.

healthydoc :

You're welcome.

healthydoc :

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask. If you have finished with all your questions, please rate our chat as "Excellent". Thanks!