healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

hi, my husband was diagnosed one year ago with the beginning

hi,

my husband was diagnosed one year ago with the beginning of a kind of dementia, but every
thing was only probably. His bloodtests are excellent, but he is sometimes confused, sleeps
nearly during the whole day. The main problem at the moment is that he cannot walk longer
than about 15 minutes. After that he is exhausted, because his legs are getting very tired.
He is 85 years old and has no heart problems. He is not on medication anymore since the
end of June. Our GP had no explanation for his constant tiredness. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. The weakness in the legs may be more a factor of deconditioning which is a major factor in patients with dementia. Patients with dementia often have problems with sleep and also have problems with maintaining a good diet. This leads them to have wasting of muscle in their body and causing them to have the weakness. Patients with dementia also suffer from depression and it is possible that your husband's sleeping during the day may be related to this depression.