Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

Woke up at 3 pm with severe headache behind left eye going

Woke up at 3 pm with severe headache behind left eye going down left side of back of head into neck. Have numbnes Ieft upper arm radiating down arm. Checked blood pressure and it was 160/100. Took Excedrin and layed down. Headache dulled and blood pressure decreased to 140/100. It is 6 hrs later. Headache dulled and have stiff neck. Face feels like mask. Blood pressure decreased to 140/98. What do you think? Call doctor in AM?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 8 months ago.

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience.

Neuro Doctor :

Have you had ever this kind of headache before?

Customer:

Yes...onlybonce

Neuro Doctor :

How long ago was that?

Customer:

Yes. Only once down the right side of back of head. It was high blood pressure.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

did you have arrm numbness that time?

Customer:

No.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

And was the headache as severe as this time?

Customer:

Yes. Head splitting pain. Right now the pain is I my neck.

Neuro Doctor :

There may be some time lag during exchange of information due to some technical glitch with the chat, I am actually answering immediately after I receive your questions or replies. Just informing you.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

Do you remember how high your blood pressure was that time?

Customer:

I believe in the same range of around 150/100.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

This time do you have any vomiting?

Customer:

Just nausea.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

Is blood pressure 150 to 160 by 100 is very high for you?

Neuro Doctor :

I have asked a question above, I hope you are able to see it.

Customer:

At thst range it causes severe headaches. Past few days have had numbness in arm, but no headache.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

Are you having any neck stiffness this time?

Customer:

Also experici ng numbness in left side of leg.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Customer:

Yes, neck stiff.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

Do you remember whether you had neck stiffness with the previous severe headache episode?

Customer:

No, I did not.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

And the numbness in the arm or leg, does it occur only when blood pressure is high, or does it occur with normal blood pressure too?

Neuro Doctor :

Customer:

Not specica lly on ldft sjde. Have had back fusion about 3 yrs Go, so have had tingling usually on upper legs. Not specifically on one side.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

Is the stiffness of the neck both sides of the neck, or only on left side of neck?

Customer:

Entire back of neck.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

Is the numbness better now or same like before?

Customer:

Same. More numbness in side of leg nowbthan upper arm. Neck is very painful.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

I have one more question on numbness

Neuro Doctor :

only about arm numbness, not about leg numbness

Neuro Doctor :

does arm numbness occur with normal blood pressure too, or does it occur only with high blood pressure?

Neuro Doctor :

Neuro Doctor :

There may be some time lag during exchange of information due to some technical issues with the chat, I am actually answering immediately after I receive your questions or replies. Just informing you.

Neuro Doctor :

Are you able to see my last question?

Neuro Doctor :

I will repost it here; does arm numbness occur with normal blood pressure too, or does it occur only with high blood pressure?

Customer:

Have experienced some arm numbness in past few days. I think BP was normal. Today was the day headache severe. Then I checked BP. Nausea is getting worse. Pro ably need to go to sleep if I can. What do you think? Is it safe to just call the doc in AM? Or is there possibility of stroke ?

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

In fact that is the reason I am asking many questions

Neuro Doctor :

I want to make sure I got all the info

Neuro Doctor :

So that I give you the most correct diagnosis

Neuro Doctor :

I have now received sufficient information from you.

Neuro Doctor :

Thanks for all these details, I will discuss now the possibilities and the treatment plan

Neuro Doctor :

High blood pressure can cause stroke like symptoms

Neuro Doctor :

So this looks like most likely related to high blood pressure

Neuro Doctor :

However a small possibility of something more than just high blood pressure cannot be entirely ruled out

Neuro Doctor :

So in my opinion it is better to get this checked out in the ER

Neuro Doctor :

I can understand your concerns

Customer:

Even if BP is lower?

Neuro Doctor :

I will explain

Neuro Doctor :

First of all you did not have neck stiffness with previous severe headache, agree?

Neuro Doctor :

And the numbness of arm can occur with good blood pressure too

Customer:

Right.

Neuro Doctor :

Okay I see

Neuro Doctor :

so even in blood pressure is better now however better to explore the other possibilities

Neuro Doctor :

I cannot vouch this is all just high blood pressure

Neuro Doctor :

There is a small doubt whether anything else

Neuro Doctor :

So just to be on the safer side it is better to visit ER

Neuro Doctor :

I am sorry, as a professional I am supposed to give my honest and best opinion

Neuro Doctor :

going to ER at this time of the day can be lot of inconvenience

Neuro Doctor :

but as a precautionary measure it is better to do so - in my opinion

Neuro Doctor :

I do not want to scare you

Neuro Doctor :

I am just trying to give my best and honest opinion

Customer:

Now BP is 160/104

Neuro Doctor :

I am sorry to hear that

Neuro Doctor :

Since BP is still high this may be another indication to visit ER

Neuro Doctor :

Hopefully and most likely nothing serious, but it better not to wait until AM

Customer:

Ok.hope they don't think inam a hypochondriac.

Neuro Doctor :

So if possible get it checked in the ER tonight itself

Neuro Doctor :

No, they should not

Neuro Doctor :

You have symptoms, high BP too

Neuro Doctor :

you need to be examined by a Dr ASAP

Neuro Doctor :

Do you have any further questions?

Neuro Doctor :

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Have been admitted to hospital. CT scan indicated small stroke. Thank you so very much for your help!!!!

I am extremely sorry to hear that you indeed had a stroke. Although my suspicion came correct however I would have been happier if my diagnosis went wrong and you had no stroke and all your symptoms were just BP related, but unfortunately it was not the case and there is a stroke, but at least it is a small stroke.

They will now do workup to find out what exactly caused the stroke and then treat you accordingly. I wish you a quick and complete recovery. All the best!

You are very welcome and please let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate my answer to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine