DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

Hi,I am 22 years old. I have been dealing with headaches

I am 22 years old. I have been dealing with headaches for the past 8.5 months. These headaches are mainly in my neck and back of head. I have gotten MRIs done on both the brain and neck and neither showed anything abnormal to worry about.

After 3 months of rest followed by 3 months of physical therapy including: heat and stem, manual massage and light exercises. Neither of these produced any relief in my neck or head.

I have been to two neurologists to try and figure this problem out. I am currently taking Nortryptiline (prescribed by my neuro) to calm these nerves down. I have experienced some relief but the stiffness and pain is still there.

I am trying to figure out the underlying cause of these headaches and neck pain. My neck is really tight! When I wake up every morning, my trapezoids are extremely tight and in pain. This feels like the cause of the pain. I bought a Tempurpedic mattress and new pillows and still no relief.

I have tried and tried to get to the bottom of this and am helpless. Does anything I am describing ring a bell? Anything helps!
Hello from JA
Please type in the MRI report summary for the neck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know where the actual summary is, however, I will post what I know.

The doctor said that it was nothing I needed to worry about. I am lacking curvature to my spine and that it is very straight.

These are the terms I remember from the MRI summary:

Cervical spine lesions

Cervical spine spondylosis

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had Tommy John, ACL and Rotator Cuff surgeries, and this is by far the most frustrating/nagging.

It hurts when I roll my shoulders back or try and stretch my neck to the ceiling while lowering my shoulders. My traps have many recurring knots in them even after getting multiple massages a week.

I forgot to mention, I have tried a chiropractor and acupuncture as well.

Those are significant findings in the neck.
Not only physical therapy is needed, but a correct structural diagnosis and manual medicine program, which you clearly have not had.

You need to see a specialist MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

This doctor will set up what you need, and it should improve the neck/head situation.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.