Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

I have a huge cyst on my neck and I am wondering what options

I have a huge cyst on my neck and I am wondering what options I have besides surgery to get rid of it. I have had this for two months. I have had ultra sound , two biopsys and awaiting a catscan.

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, this is Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience, and I am very glad to help you with your question.

Neuro Doctor :

I can fully understand your frustrations but please see that there are myriad types of cysts in the neck and treatment may differ depending upon the type of cyst so first we need to find out what is the exact type of cyst you are having.

The possibilities for a cyst in the neck include; branchial cleft cysts, thyroglossal duct cysts (TGDCs), ectopic thymus cysts, dermoid and teratoid cysts, acquired laryngoceles, tumor related cysts, cystic schwannomas etc.

Once again I can fully understand your frustrations but since there are so many types of cysts in the neck we need to get the precise diagnosis first then only a definitive treatment can be instituted. So although it is extremely frustrating experience waiting long like this but without final definitive diagnosis a specific treatment cannot be started, so we need to wait for CAT scan report too. I hope they will arrange for the CAT scan fast and also the result is available quickly.

And importantly if they mentioned biopsy showed nothing then it rules out tumors/cancers as a possibility so at least from serious diseases perspective you seems to be having a good news, but I understand indefinitely waiting for a diagnosis like this definitely is frustrating and I earnestly hope they will get the Scan done at the earliest and then you will receive the report too at the earliest so that you will start receiving the appropriate treatment for this bothersomne huge cyst in the neck.

Neuro Doctor :

Please go through the above answer and let me know whether I have answered your questions & concerns? - If not please let me know and we can discuss this further.

Neuro Doctor :

The computer screen shows you are "typing", but I do not see any message on the screen, are you facing any technical issues? or do you need more time? Please take your time.

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, are you facing technical difficulties in properly accessing this chat or posting your messages here?

Neuro Doctor :

It sounds you are facing technical difficulties so I will switch this chat format to Q & A format

Hi Rosalie, it appeared you are facing technical difficulties to properly access my answer through the above chat so I have now switched over to Q & A format hoping that you may be able to properly access my above answer through this format at least; after going through my above answer if you have any additional questions or need any additional clarifications please let me know - I will be available for further discussions.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for the info you provided. It does help me understand how important it is to identify first. My second question is because the inflamation at the top of the cyst did not disappear with the antibiotic does that indicate that it is not a bacterial infection? Also is it likely that surgery will be the next step or is it possible to eliminate it through another avenue like drainage. Again, I guess this is something they will know after the scan. I am having scan this Thursday and results within a week. I have not felt comfortable with the specialist I have seen , no "bedside manner" at all and would not want him to perform the surgery. Is it possible to be referred to someone else at this point. I have seen him 3 times..

You are welcome.

I am sorry to find out that you are facing problems not only with getting a diagnosis quickly but also having to deal with a specialist with bad bedside manner. So it is appropriate to see another specialist and your primary doctor can help you in this regard and they can refer you to another specialist who is compassionate and exhibits good bedside manner. Now coming to the cyst related concerns; the inflammation did not respond to the antibiotic may hint that it is not from bacterial infection, but sometimes the bacteria may be resistant to one particular antibiotic so they can try another antibiotic and see whether it responds. Then there are nonbacterial infections too which will not respond to bacterial antibiotics rather those antibiotics are different. So they have to explore the above 2 possibilities – one is bacterial infection but not responding to the antibiotic which was already tried so they have to try a new antibiotic, and the second possibility is nonbacterial infection so they need to try nonbacterial antibiotic. Regarding the other treatment options you are concerned, yes I agree the final decision on which is the best treatment can only be made after the CAT scan but I want to emphasize that surgery is not always must, there is another option like drainage of the cyst too to eliminate the cyst, so surgery is not always must for cysts in the neck area.

Have I answered your questions & concerns? - If not please let me know and we can discuss this further; and if you feel you have received the answer to your questions & concerns then please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor