Ask a Neurologist and Get an Answer ASAP
Hi, this is Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience, and I am very glad to help you with your question.
I can fully understand your frustrations but please see that there are myriad types of cysts in the neck and treatment may differ depending upon the type of cyst so first we need to find out what is the exact type of cyst you are having.
The possibilities for a cyst in the neck include; branchial cleft cysts, thyroglossal duct cysts (TGDCs), ectopic thymus cysts, dermoid and teratoid cysts, acquired laryngoceles, tumor related cysts, cystic schwannomas etc.
Once again I can fully understand your frustrations but since there are so many types of cysts in the neck we need to get the precise diagnosis first then only a definitive treatment can be instituted. So although it is extremely frustrating experience waiting long like this but without final definitive diagnosis a specific treatment cannot be started, so we need to wait for CAT scan report too. I hope they will arrange for the CAT scan fast and also the result is available quickly.
And importantly if they mentioned biopsy showed nothing then it rules out tumors/cancers as a possibility so at least from serious diseases perspective you seems to be having a good news, but I understand indefinitely waiting for a diagnosis like this definitely is frustrating and I earnestly hope they will get the Scan done at the earliest and then you will receive the report too at the earliest so that you will start receiving the appropriate treatment for this bothersomne huge cyst in the neck.
Please go through the above answer and let me know whether I have answered your questions & concerns? - If not please let me know and we can discuss this further.
The computer screen shows you are "typing", but I do not see any message on the screen, are you facing any technical issues? or do you need more time? Please take your time.
Hi, are you facing technical difficulties in properly accessing this chat or posting your messages here?
It sounds you are facing technical difficulties so I will switch this chat format to Q & A format
Thankyou for the info you provided. It does help me understand how important it is to identify first. My second question is because the inflamation at the top of the cyst did not disappear with the antibiotic does that indicate that it is not a bacterial infection? Also is it likely that surgery will be the next step or is it possible to eliminate it through another avenue like drainage. Again, I guess this is something they will know after the scan. I am having scan this Thursday and results within a week. I have not felt comfortable with the specialist I have seen , no "bedside manner" at all and would not want him to perform the surgery. Is it possible to be referred to someone else at this point. I have seen him 3 times..