Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I just had a discectomy, laminectomy and fusion surgery. I

Customer Question

I just had a discectomy, laminectomy and fusion surgery. I have IBS anyway but now there is so much gas and discomfort on the left side of my intestine. Much worse than I usually have. Could this be related to possibly hitting the nerve that controls the bowel during the surgery and what can be done about it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, this is Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience, and I am very glad to help you with your question.

Neuro Doctor :

If you see that the gas is considerably more since the back surgery then yes it is possible they might have hit the nerve supplying the bowel. The nerve injury will heal by itself and it takes time. In the meantime we need to try symptomatic treatments to control this excessive gas, and could you tell me what have you tried to reduce this annoying excessive gas? Have you tried any pills or meds in addition to dietary adjustment and walking?

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, I have asked a question above, when you get time please reply to me, I will go through your reply and then I will post my answer here at the earliest. And if I am already attending some other medical emergencies or answering other neurology questions at this site then there may be some delay but I will follow up with you at the earliest possible from my side. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, I have asked a question above and it is okay I understand you may be busy, what I will do is post my answer here and please go through it when you get time. I had asked above whether you had tried any medication of pills to control this gas, what I actually meant was whether you have tried any anti gas agents like Myalanta Gas, or Tab Vitacost Gas Enzyme (Also callked as Tab Beano or Alpha Galactosidase), if you have not tried one of these agents then you may try them and they are very effective in reducing the gas. You do not need both of them you can start with one of them, if one agent alone helps fine, if not then you can combine them too. And as pointed above the nerve irritation will heal by itself and till the nerve healing is complete you may try the above agents to get relief from this annoying gas problem.

Neuro Doctor :

When you get time please go through my above answer and let me know whether I have answered your questions & concerns? - If not please let me know and we can discuss this further; and if you feel you have received the answer to your questions & concerns then please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor

Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi, When you get time please go through my above answer and let me know whether I have answered your questions & concerns? - If not please let me know and we can discuss this further; and if you feel you have received the answer to your questions & concerns then please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your answer which has been concerning me a lot. On more question. How certain are you that this gas and discomfort on my left side will go away?

You are welcome. I am quite confident the gas and discomfort will eventually go away. The reason I feel highly confident that the gas & discomfort will go away because the nerve injury related symptoms eventually resolve, it may take time though. Nerve regeneration is a slow process but peripheral nerves like spinal nerves have ability to regenerate. Your increased gas symptom occurred after the back surgery so it sounds like this is related to nerve injury, if that is so then as the nerve injury heals the gas and discomfort is also expected to resolve. In the mean time you may continue with the dietary adjustment as well as exercise or walking and along with these measures you may also try the above pills to help in getting rid of this annoying gas symptoms. And once again I strongly believe the gas symptom will resolve as the nerve injury recovery is complete, all the best!

Please let me know if you have further questions.