Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Swelling in right ankle area? Went to Emergency Room at hospital

Swelling in right ankle area? Went to Emergency Room at hospital and no fractures or breaks in the bones? The sweeping has persisted for 2 weeks. I am taking ibuprofen and keeping leg elevated. Sharp pain around ankle (in-step of the foot).

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, this is Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience, and I am very glad to help you with your question.

Neuro Doctor :

Other than x ray have you had any other tests, blood tests or scans of the ankle etc to look for the cause for this swelling?

Neuro Doctor :

Did you have this type of swelling ever before?

Neuro Doctor :

Swelling anywhere else in the body or limbs or joints?

Neuro Doctor :

Do you have any already diagnosed medical diseases or health conditions?

Neuro Doctor :

And is there history of trauma or injury to the right ankle?

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, I have asked few questions above, when you get time please reply to me, I will go through your reply and then I will post my answer here at the earliest. And if I am already attending some other medical emergencies or answering other neurology questions at this site then there may be some delay but I will follow up with you at the earliest possible from my side.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor

Customer: No to other tests.
Neuro Doctor :

Okay I got it

Neuro Doctor :

I will discuss now the further plan

Neuro Doctor :

Okay in that case you need some special blood tests like ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor, ANA etc, and if the blood tests come normal then an MRI scan of the ankle too to look for conditions that can be missed on just x rays.

Neuro Doctor :

And have they tested for gout?

Customer: No other tests were done/conducted by the emergency room staff..
Neuro Doctor :

Okay in that case you need gout blood test too

Neuro Doctor :

So you need the above blood tests including gout blood test, if they come normal then MRI scan of the ankle

Neuro Doctor :

This approach will help in arriving at precise diagnosis and then treated appropriately

Neuro Doctor :

If the pain is not responding to Ibuprofen

Neuro Doctor :

then you may try stronger prescription pain meds like Diclofenac

Neuro Doctor :

Or Tramadol

Neuro Doctor :

Or Codeine containing or Oxycodone containing pills like Tylenol#3, or Percocet etc

Neuro Doctor :

So please discuss with your clinic Doctors the above points, the investigations & treatment plan

Customer: no other tests were conducted by the emergency room staff.; I have never had this type of swelling before; no swelling anywhere else on the body; ;I have been diagnosed with HBP; no I previous history of injury/ trauma to the right ankle.
Neuro Doctor :

Okay thanks very much for these additional information, I really appreciate it

Neuro Doctor :

The HBP should not cause this

Neuro Doctor :

And the above tests are necessary to clinch the final diagnosis

Neuro Doctor :

Please go through the above information and if you have further questions please let me know.

Customer: Okay. What are the symptoms of gout?
Neuro Doctor :

Gout is rare with your presentation but it needs to be ruled out. It generally causes big toe swelling, but rarely can affect any other joints like ankle too

Neuro Doctor :

It causes pain & swelling in the joint

Customer: okay..... thanks. What are the symptoms of gout? I am unfamiliar with that condition.
Neuro Doctor :

You are welcome, I have mentioned above

Neuro Doctor :

Are you able to see my previous reply?

Neuro Doctor :

If not please let me know I will repost it

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, did you get my previous post on symptoms of gout?

Customer: Yes, I saw your previous reply.
Neuro Doctor :

Okay good

Neuro Doctor :

Do you have any further questions for me?

Neuro Doctor :

If you would like to discuss this further please let me know, I will be very glad to discuss further.

Neuro Doctor :

Hi, do you need further help from me? Please take your time.

Neuro Doctor :

I hope you are not encountering any technical problems.

Neuro Doctor :

As I mentioned earlier above gout causes swelling and pain in the joint, there are no other specific symptom it causes, and it is diagnosed with a blood test for gout, the test is Blood uric acid

Neuro Doctor :

Any you need other blood tests too I mentioned above, and if blood tests help in diagnosing fine you do not need more tests, if blood tests come normal then you need an MRI scan of the ankle joint too to help in finalizing the diagnosis.

Neuro Doctor :

If you want to discuss this further please let know, and please take your time.

Hi Willie, have I answered your questions & concerns? - If not please let me know and we can discuss this further.

Best regards

Neuro Doctor