KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.

i have a nerve pulling on my little toe and i dont know to

i have a nerve pulling on my little toe and i don't know to get it to settle down, I have neuropathy but i can feel it every few seconds. i get this every few months help

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.

In terms of treatment for neuropathy, there are various options available, including Lyrica. Maximum dosing of Lyrica at any one time is typically 150mg, so it could be possible to increase the dose if there are no or minimal side effects. There are other medications also available for neuropathy, which include but is not limited to gabapentin, nortriptyline, Cymbalta, venlafaxine, valproic acid, tramadol, and carbamazepine.

Therefore, if one agent is not successful to control the symptoms, then other medications can be tried either alone or in combination.

Also, sometimes people with neuropathy will use a cream such as Capsaicin to hopefully obtain relief from neuropathy.

Of course, it is important also to try to determine the cause of the neuropathy to see if the condition is reversible, which would need consultation and evaluation by a neurologist. Conditions such as B12 deficiency, thyroid disease, kidney dysfunction, and diabetes are a couple potential causes to be considered. Reversing the cause of neuropathy can sometimes improve symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how many times a day can I take 150 mg of Lyrica It seemed to help yesterday but now I have it again, I have been tested for all the above and have had neuropthy for some 20 years and normally I really haven't had any problems with it. I am on 2400 MGS of neurotin a day.

Well combining Neurontin and Lyrica is a little bit of an issue, because these 2 medications are very similar to one another. If this is done, one's kidney function should be carefully monitored, and in general the treating doctor would need to monitor a patient carefully. Without Neurontin, using Lyrica 150mg three times daily is acceptable in most cases. I strongly suggest discussing dosage increases with your treating physician. Also, without someone on Lyrica, the maximum dosage of Neurontin is usually considered to be 3600mg in a day.