Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

carpal tunnel

I am an accountant and usually use my middle right hand finger when using the calculator or computer to type numbers. This past week I had to type in over 3000 entries on a spreadsheet and it took over 4 days. This is very unusual for my job. This past weekend my right hand felt stiff and a bit tingly. I have no pain at night and am back to my normal schedule of limited data entry. My question is could I have damaged my hand in one week to cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Can I do anything to ease any damage I did.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

Hello. No, you would not cause carpal tunnel syndrome from one episode of overuse. You could cause tenosynovitis, an inflammation in the flexor tendons of the digits, and that could cause pain. But the concept with CTS is that you form adhesions, which close down the space for the median nerve to move between the carpal bones, and the flexor retinaculum, the tendon that covers the wrist. This comes from chronic injury, low stress, but repetitive over years.

You can get checked for CTS by getting a nerve conduction study across the wrist, you might have that chronic injury, and then this recent work pushed you over the edge, but by itself, you cannot get CTS. Dr Frank T