Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

3 months ago I got Radiesse injections and the Dr. had a "new

3 months ago I got Radiesse injections and the Dr. had a "new technique" in which he injected. He put tape across both my cheeks,and pulled my skin back toward my scalp by my temple area and injected. he told me he "got a blood vessel" although I did not feel it at the time. I had a huge Knot on the side of my head by my temple, and within 30 min. my scalp was unbearably itchy. My head was so sensitive, I could not stand in the sun or wash my hair, or even sleep. I bruised terribly,across the entire left side of my head, and also got a black eye from the blood dissipating. The skin on my scalp scabbed and sloughed off, and then my hair fell out in clumps. My scalp is numb but I keep getting sharp stabbing pain on that side of my head. I have headaches everyday,sometimes vertigo, and I got a major sinus infection right after. I took antibiotics and got better but I am having sinus problems again. I had a cat scan that came out ok, but my Dr. told me that I may have permanent nerve damage. Not sure where to go from here. I want a referral to neurology!!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

hello

neuromd2012 :

I am waiting for you to come online

Customer:

ok

neuromd2012 :

hi

neuromd2012 :

sounds like a bad outcome

Customer:

hi

Customer:

yes it is

neuromd2012 :

so you are having vertigo?

neuromd2012 :

and headaches

neuromd2012 :

and sinus infections correct?

Customer:

yes

neuromd2012 :

well , I would actually suggest you see an ENT physician first for the vertigo

neuromd2012 :

as this sounds like a "peripheral" vestibular problem

neuromd2012 :

related to the sinusitis, rather than a "central " issue from brain injury

neuromd2012 :

the ENT doc would do the vestibular testing and look at your labrynthine system and the auditory/vestibular nerve

Customer:

do you think this is related to the injection?

neuromd2012 :

which is what the doc meant by "nerve damage?

neuromd2012 :

it could be.

neuromd2012 :

Radiesse is hyaluronidase?

neuromd2012 :

correct?

Customer:

I believe so

neuromd2012 :

hang on ok

Customer:

ok

neuromd2012 :

I am not a derm person, I have to look this up

Customer:

no problem

Customer:

I have never had sinus issues or localized head pain until I had that injection

neuromd2012 :

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/briefing/2006-4233b1_05.pdf

neuromd2012 :

ok

neuromd2012 :

so this is a fda document on Radiesse

neuromd2012 :

it is calcium crystals in a gel matrix

neuromd2012 :

so you inject under the skin to supplement areas of fat loss

neuromd2012 :

and smooth out wrinkles

neuromd2012 :

no hyaluronidase

neuromd2012 :

and theoretically,, you should not have an immune reaction

neuromd2012 :

but I cannot explain why your hair fell out

neuromd2012 :

and you acquired sinusitis

neuromd2012 :

it sounds like an immune reaction to me

neuromd2012 :

nevertheless

neuromd2012 :

I would suggest you focus first on the balance/vertiginous symptoms

neuromd2012 :

and see if you have damaged your vestibular system and the vestibular nerve in this case

neuromd2012 :

you do not have other features, like double vision

neuromd2012 :

loss of vision?

neuromd2012 :

loss of taste or smell?

neuromd2012 :

weakness or numbness in your extremities?

Customer:

I dont believe it was the product used necessarily, but the trauma to my head due to where the injection was placed is my concern. My vision is a little wierd at times.

neuromd2012 :

I see

Customer:

no loss of taste or smell

neuromd2012 :

yes, maybe from the tape pulling issue

neuromd2012 :

and bruising

neuromd2012 :

you sustained damage to your sinuses,

neuromd2012 :

and then to your eustachian tube, pressure on your labrythine system

neuromd2012 :

and then the vertigo insued

Customer:

Do you ever do injections?

neuromd2012 :

I do injections for nerve pain

neuromd2012 :

do you mean he "saw blood?

neuromd2012 :

that is another issue

neuromd2012 :

where he could have injected radiesse into a blood vessel?

Customer:

Ok cause Ive had them done many times but never where the skin is s

Customer:

oops

Customer:

He said he hit a blood vessel

Customer:

then when the skin peeled off and my hair fell out he said I must have alopecia

neuromd2012 :

well you wonder what can happen if you inject this into a vein

neuromd2012 :

I am not sure anyone really knows

neuromd2012 :

the gel itself might cause an immune reaction

neuromd2012 :

I would contact the company that makes Radiesse, and file an adverse event report with them

neuromd2012 :

they are required to report this to the FDA for review

Customer:

But I have had that product injected many times before with no reaction

neuromd2012 :

and you will get some people with specific knowledge as to the chance you have some immune issue

neuromd2012 :

I see

neuromd2012 :

so maybe it was because it went into your blood stream???

neuromd2012 :

when you get a "flash back" as we call it, and see blood in the syringe, you are not suppose to inject

neuromd2012 :

maybe he did or didn't?

Customer:

Does the FDA have to approve the technique used or can a doctor just do it however they see fit? my concern with his method is that he cant see where the needle is going when the skin is all pulled up. I feel I should report this because if it happened to me, it will probably happen to another patient.

neuromd2012 :

exactly.

neuromd2012 :

that is the real benefit of reporting to warn others of this possibility, but you will also find out if similar cases have happened

neuromd2012 :

the doc should at least have some training from the manufacturer

neuromd2012 :

that is required

neuromd2012 :

but he can do what he wants pretty much

neuromd2012 :

I inject botox for cervical dystonia

neuromd2012 :

and I have training from several organizations

Customer:

Thats awesome. I do hair and now I have no hair :/

neuromd2012 :

sorry

neuromd2012 :

well alopecia is an "autoimmune" disorder

neuromd2012 :

and you need to find the source if you want to treat it

neuromd2012 :

I hope I was able to give you some direction

Customer:

Would you recommend that I ask for a referral to an ENT? the dermatologist does not feel it necessary to do a biopsy because he said it is alopecia, but he said it may or may not be caused by the injection. But exactly where my scalp was purple and bruised, is where the hair is missing and my scalp is numb.

neuromd2012 :

I see, yes, you need the ENT for the vertigo/dizziness, the neurologist would do an MRI which would be normal , and that would be it. you need to see if your vestibular dysfunction is peripheral or central

Customer:

Thank You. I will rate you well:)

neuromd2012 :

you are welcome good luck

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank t

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.