Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Right now I have a very tight muscle in my back. I can barely

Right now I have a very tight muscle in my back. I can barely stand up straight. Hurts mainly when I lift my right arm. Does not hurt in the middle the pain is not constant, just when moving. The pain is the upper middle back in line with my shoulder. Last night I took 1 200mg of ibuprofen. What can I do to get rid of this pain. I have no history or back issues.

Dr. Bob :

This type of pain in this location is typically due to a trigger point in the mid or upper trapezius or one of the deeper rhomboid muscles. This is a bundle of muscle fibers that has gone into spasm.

Customer:

Ok makes sense. What can I do to relieve this

Dr. Bob :

It can hard to get at a trigger point, but they do relax on their own with time. In the meantime, heat, motrin (600-800mg for an adult), and deep tissue massage or acupressure can be helpful

Customer:

Thank you very much just finished with a massage. Feel a bit better. Will definitely follow your other recommendations.