Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

my son was moving the lawn and mid way through his right hand

my son was moving the lawn and mid way through his right hand started to tremor. He is 13 years old, and today was the second time that this happened. Do you know if there is any correlation between this and Tourettes Syndrome?

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

hello. I am going to assume that he was using a push mower, and the mower was vibrating (?)

neuromd2012 :

Vibration is a well known to induce tremor in the upper arms. If both of these spells happened with the lawn mower, than that, rather then Tourettes syndrome would be implicated

neuromd2012 :

I will attach a medical paper that discusses how vibration can interfere with the 1a afferent circuits that establish muscle tone

neuromd2012 :

and can elicit a tremor across the elbow

neuromd2012 :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1282860/

neuromd2012 :

Please get back to me with questions when you are online, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank t

Customer:

Yes, he was using a push mower and I would assume it was vibrating. I look forward to reading the article. Do you think that this is a reason to see a neurologist? I did speak w/ his pediatrician and she didn't seem too concerned. But, I (being an Adult Nurse Practitioner and not in Neuro) have my mind in all directions from Parkinsons, MS, lymes...etc!

neuromd2012 :

HI

neuromd2012 :

It both of these episode were in association with a vibrating lawn mower, no question, no reason to see a neurologist.

neuromd2012 :

this is actually quite common, it certainly has happened to me.

neuromd2012 :

Please get back to me if you have questions

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

neuromd2012 :

please rate my service if you can

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T