Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am taking Mirapex, Amanadine, (100mg.x 3) and the generic

I am taking Mirapex, Amanadine, (100mg.x 3) and the generic for Xanax(.05x3). I've had Parkinson's for a little more then 15 years. I am suffering with PS. Would any of these drugs cause PS? What can I do or take to help get some relief? Thank you in advance for your help.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, I will leave you an answer. please get back to me to discuss

neuromd2012 :

I cannot figure out what you mean by "ps"?

neuromd2012 :

pelligrini-steidl disease?

neuromd2012 :

do you mean PSP?

neuromd2012 :

progressive supranuclear palsy?

neuromd2012 :

get back to me and I will reply

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am always leaning toward the right. It is called Pisa Syndrome. I also forgot to tell you that I also take 5HTP.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 62
What have you tried so far?: nothing

Edit

Hello. I will leave you an abstract on Pisa Syndrome. The most common reason for this problem is neuroleptic use (antipsychotic meds) but this can be a direct result of having a neurodegenerative disorder (Parkinsons), or it can also be idiopathic (not related to medication). But most cases are related to use of neuroleptics (anti-psychotic) medications, which you are not or have not taken (?) . In terms of treatment, anti-cholinergic medications are usually tried (cogentin, artane), but amantidine is also anticholinergic, so that might be an effective medication. Pisa Syndrome is said to come from an imbalance between dopamine/serotonin, so using 5HTP also seems rational in the setting of using dopamine agonist medications (mirapex). So to answer your question, it could be the parkinson's is the reason for PS, rather than a medication effect. here is an article as well about a parkinson's disease patient acquiring PS after thallamotomy. Please get back to me if you have questions. Dr Frank T

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2117655/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11888337
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the clarification of the medications that I'm taking. This Pisa Syndrome is making it very difficult for me to function and can be very painful. What would your recommendation be if I were your patient?

i

I would put you on a stronger anti-cholinergic medication (than amantadine) like cogentin (benztropine) at a low dose. 0.5 mg starting at twice a day, and see if your muscular contractions were diminished, and you straightened up.

If pain is a big problem, I would add some Gabapentin (neurontin) for neuropathic pain, starting dose is 300 mg at night. Ask your neurologist.

please get back to me if I can help, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank t