Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

i have numbness on my entire left side. I went to my nuero

i have numbness on my entire left side. I went to my nuero dr. and one of the tests he did scared me with his reaction. He took my middle finger and "flicked" it on each hand. why did he do that?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

Hello. he did a Hoffman's sign test

neuromd2012 :

that is a test to check your cervical spinal cord and brain

neuromd2012 :

to see if there is a problem of the motor pathways in that area

neuromd2012 :

hello

Customer:

what is normal?

neuromd2012 :

well normal is a non-exaggerated response

neuromd2012 :

so your middle finger does not jerk excessively

neuromd2012 :

it is comparitive left and right

neuromd2012 :

comparative

Customer:

the left did feel "dead"

neuromd2012 :

he was checking you for demyelinating diseases like subacute combined degeneration

neuromd2012 :

which is vit B12 deficiency

neuromd2012 :

or MS, or any disease like lupus vasculitis, etc, that can effect the brain and spinal cord

neuromd2012 :

I see

neuromd2012 :

well it can be dead in a peripheral nerve problem,

neuromd2012 :

like a neuropathy, or pinched nerve in your neck

neuromd2012 :

on that left side

Customer:

my whole left side feels asleep, from face to top of foot

neuromd2012 :

did you get an MRI of your brain? do you have hypertension, diabetes

neuromd2012 :

any medical disorders?

Customer:

im waiting for insurance to ok the mri w/contrast. and I have dm2.

neuromd2012 :

well

neuromd2012 :

if you have DM2

neuromd2012 :

you can have a thalamic stroke, a lacunar stroke

neuromd2012 :

and have one sided numbnesss, face, arm and leg

neuromd2012 :

the MRI will show it

neuromd2012 :

that would be the most likely cause

Customer:

what is thalamic and lacunar?

neuromd2012 :

the thalamus is an area deep in the brain

neuromd2012 :

it is a white matter area

neuromd2012 :

and it has very small blood vessels which supply it

neuromd2012 :

when you have diabetes, you can close up those small blood vessels

neuromd2012 :

and cause a "lacunar" stroke, which is a small area in the thalamus that has lost blood supply

neuromd2012 :

it is in the "pathways" of sensation, so it disrupts your sensation to the entire side of your body

neuromd2012 :

is it called a pure sensory stroke

neuromd2012 :

it is part of having "microvascular' disease of the brain

Customer:

ok,can it be seen with an mri? is there treatment or reocurrance issues?

neuromd2012 :

yes

neuromd2012 :

it is seen on the MRI

neuromd2012 :

treatment is better control of your diabetes, and taking a medication to thin your blood

neuromd2012 :

either aspirin or clopidogrel (Plavix) or both

neuromd2012 :

but you need that MRI first, they are giving you contrast to exclude a tumor or some other cause

neuromd2012 :

like MS

neuromd2012 :

multiple sclerosis, or what I stated earlier

neuromd2012 :

but if this came on suddenly,

Customer:

thank you so very much you answered all my questions.

neuromd2012 :

it suggest vascular

neuromd2012 :

you are welcome

neuromd2012 :

please come back anytime if I can help

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

neuromd2012 :

please rate my service if you can

Customer:

god bless you

neuromd2012 :

thank you, you too

neuromd2012 :

bye

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.