Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Sudden onset of pain between shoulder blades. It is also painful

Customer Question

Sudden onset of pain between shoulder blades. It is also painful to turn head left or right or up and down
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

Hello. You have musculoskeletal pain, and need to treat this symptomatically, and then find out the cause.

neuromd2012 :

This is unlikely to be cardiac related if you are moving your head to make the pain worse

neuromd2012 :

the most common cause is trapezius muscle spasm, but it can involve a variety of muscles in the

neuromd2012 :

cervical chain.

neuromd2012 :

Symptomatic treatment is NSAID medication (OTC Aleve, Motrin, etc), muscle relaxants like cyclobenzaprine (prescription), If you have degenerative arthritic changes in your cervical spine, this should help.

neuromd2012 :

Using a warm moist compress or heating pad to the area will also help symptomatically

neuromd2012 :

hello are you there?

Customer: Yes
neuromd2012 :

do you have a fever? or any chance this is infective?

Customer: I was concerned it could be a blood clot. I have no fever.
neuromd2012 :

do you have any other medical illnesses, meds you take?

neuromd2012 :

do you have arthritis in your neck?

Customer: I take thyroid med,an antidepressant,Advair,and generic n said for osteoarthritis. Never been told I have arthritis in neck Mostly knee problems.
neuromd2012 :

I see

neuromd2012 :

you could have an aortic artery dissection and have this sudden onset of pain. That is seen in patients

neuromd2012 :

with hypertension and high cholesterol.

neuromd2012 :

if you do not have a history of arthritis in the cervical spine, it is not likely that to be as a sudden pain but

neuromd2012 :

the fact that this seems worse with head movements can be seen in both conditions. I would

neuromd2012 :

suggest you call your doctor if you feel you could be having an aortic dissection or problem

neuromd2012 :

of the heart and blood vessels.

neuromd2012 :

do you feel dizzy or lightheaded?

Customer: No dizziness
neuromd2012 :

any cardiac history at all?

Customer: No
neuromd2012 :

so that as well is unlikely

neuromd2012 :

I would suggest you try to treat this as a cervical arthritis, and treat the muscle spasm with

neuromd2012 :

a heating pad, and see if this improves over hours time

neuromd2012 :

if it does not, you need to call you doctor and have him examine you

neuromd2012 :

do you have any symptoms of GERD or GI complaints?

Customer: Thank you so much for your help. No GI complaints.
neuromd2012 :

you are welcome.

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.