Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I have a pain in my arm at the front, just below the shoulder

I have a pain in my arm at the front, just below the shoulder joint, I can only lift that arm shoulder high and sometime when I push with that arm the pain is very bad and I just have to stand there till it go's
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

hello

neuromd2012 :

I am waiting for you to come online. It sounds like you have a tendonitis, of the biceps short or long head, or both.

neuromd2012 :

one thing you can try for this is voltaren gel 5%

neuromd2012 :

that you can rub into your shoulds

neuromd2012 :

shoulder, in that front area,

neuromd2012 :

you need a prescription, but can ask you doc to call it in

neuromd2012 :

if you want to find out the extent of this injury, if it is a partial tear, you need an MRI

neuromd2012 :

for partial tears of these tendons, the treatment is medication like I stated

neuromd2012 :

then a physical therapist to work with you to rebuild the muscle and tendon using multiple repetitions and small free weights.

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, please get back to me with questions, and I will try to answer them.

neuromd2012 :

if you want the exact diagnosis, you do need an MRI scan of the shoulder,

neuromd2012 :

if the biceps long head tendon is injured inside the shoulder capsule, as it goes under

neuromd2012 :

a large flap like tendon from supraspinatus, then you might need an arthrocentesis, or injection of cortisone

neuromd2012 :

that could be determined by your family doc, or an orthopedist

Customer:

it first went when I did a overhead smash at tennis

neuromd2012 :

oh hi

neuromd2012 :

yes, well that could be the long head or short head of bicep

neuromd2012 :

does it hurt to cross your arm across your chest at all?

Customer:

at the mo. just feels a little tight when I do that

neuromd2012 :

I see

neuromd2012 :

well the two heads work together for a overhead smash, as well as your pectineus muscles

neuromd2012 :

can you get come voltaren gel, can you wrap your shoulder with an ace wrap?

neuromd2012 :

get a physical therapist to see what he can do for you?

Customer:

I working in the Philippines at the mo., but will go to the hospital and try and get what you advised

neuromd2012 :

yes

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.