Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

hiya, i dont know if most of this counts as neurology but here

hiya, i dont know if most of this counts as neurology but here goes. i had a chiari 1 malformation and syringomyelia which i had decompression surgery for about 6 years ago. most of my symptoms remained, mainly numbness and tingling in hands and face. ive been diagnosed with depression, then bipolar and sciatica. a few months ago ive been diagnosed with glutaric aciduria type 2 and have been given riboflavin which doesnt seem to help. i went to drs a few weeks ago because ive had a sore tongue for a long time but it got worse, they took bloods and found out my vitamin b12 was only 168 so i had to have 6 injections and got to have one every 3 months.ive got hyperpigmentation on my face, neck and armpits. ive had diarrhoa for 2 years (either orange green or black water about 4 to 6 times a day ) could all this be related or am i just be classed as unlucky? there are one or 2 other diagnoses but i cant think of them off hand because my memory is affected aswell. i take over 20 tablets a day and to be honest, ive had enough. oh and narcolepsy and bells palsy 4 months ago.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Bob :

Hello. Have your sodium and potassium levels been normal? Have they checked your cortisol levels?

Customer:

im not sure, they did do a lot of different blood tests tho. more than usual.

Dr. Bob :

Any discussion of Addison's disease?

Customer:

no its never been mentioned

Dr. Bob :

Have you heard of it? Addison's disease is a disorder that occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of their hormones

Dr. Bob :

You seem to have some of the typical symptoms:

• Changes in blood pressure or heart rate

• Chronic diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting, or poor appetite resulting in weight loss

• Darkening of the skin in some places, causing the skin to look patchy

• Paleness

• Extreme fatigue, weakness and slow, sluggish movement

• Mouth lesions on the inside of a cheek (buccal mucosa) and/or tongue

• Salt craving

Customer:

no ive never heard of it lol. would that cover a lot of what ive got?

Dr. Bob :

I think so. It can usually be ruled in or out with a few blood tests, but the clinical story is very important as well.

Customer:

i have got a hole appear on one side of my tongue and its loads more painfull down that side. ive not had any weight loss. infact im having constant weight gain. considering i dont eat much because i usually sleep most of the day and all night

Dr. Bob :

Well, It would certainly be worth asking your doctor about.

Dr. Bob :

Sometimes it is an autotimmune disorder that goes along with other autoimmune conditions.

Dr. Bob :

Thyroid problems, pernicious anemia, diabetes, vitiligo...

Customer:

ok, thank you for your time. ill mention it my doc and see if he will do blood tests for it

Dr. Bob :

If this is present, it can be treated...or at least controlled by supplementation with the missing hormones.

Customer:

pernicious anemia has been mentioned but there not goin to bother testing for it because im having the injections of b12

Dr. Bob :

If so, you would likely feel a whole lot better.

Dr. Bob :

You should work with an endocrinologist and be evaluated by a rheumatologist as well.

Customer:

whats an endocrinologist?

Dr. Bob :

They are experts in hormonal systems.

Customer:

ok, ill try and get my doc to refer me to them, its doubtfull tho

Dr. Bob :

Well, if your current doc cannot provide all the answers to why you are having these problems, he owes it to you, in my opinion, to seek the help of whomever might be able to solve the mystery, or at least improve your understanding of what it happening to you.

Customer:

ive seen a neurologist who diagnosed me with a few things. ill have a word with the doc and hopefully he will refer me. thankyou for all your help, i really appreciate it

Dr. Bob :

You're welcome. I hope all works out for the best for you.

Customer:

thankyou.

Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience