Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a deep ache on both side of my lower skull in the back

I have a deep ache on both side of my lower skull in the back on the large bones under my ears going around the lower back of my neck. I didnt realize the bones hurt so bad until I asked my husband to rub my head and when he touched these areas, it was if I was hit with a hard object it hurt so bad. This is ongoing and it is disabling. Its not a head ache.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

Hello. The problem you may have is cervical muscular spasm, and with that an inflammation of the tendonous insertiions into your scalp, that can be pinching nerves in that area, causing pain

neuromd2012 :

the most common nerve is called the greater occipital nerve.

neuromd2012 :

and you can have greater occipital neuralgia. that may cause "hyperpathia"

neuromd2012 :

meaning it hurts just to touch

neuromd2012 :

are you there?

Customer:

I used to get "swimmers ear" alot, which I found unusual because I don't swim or get water in my ear, but the bones back there seem "tight" or maybe its not the bones but the tendons over the bones? I am at the computer A LOT also which may be a factor

neuromd2012 :

hi

neuromd2012 :

yes, it is not the bones, but the tendons from muscles like trapezium, levator scapulae, semispinatus capitus, etc

neuromd2012 :

all of these muscles are on the back of your neck, and insert into the skull, to keep your head up

Customer:

So if these 800 ibruprofen arent kicking it, I dont know what will?

neuromd2012 :

but if you have weird sensations, then it can be the nerves being pinched as well

neuromd2012 :

you might try some massage, and a muscle relaxant, like cyclobenzaprine (flexeril) or tizanidine (zanaflex)

neuromd2012 :

warm moist compresses to the back of your neck

Customer:

again its like a dull pain, until it was touched and rubbed, when I realized it was like my head was hit with a pipe. What should I do since its now 2pm here and I still cant get up to go to work

Customer:

Ok doc, thank you very much. I wont worry

neuromd2012 :

call youi doc

Customer:

k

neuromd2012 :

have him call in some medications better than ibuprofen

neuromd2012 :

good luck

neuromd2012 :

bye

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

Customer:

will do he lives across the street!

neuromd2012 :

thats easy

neuromd2012 :

bye