Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

What would be the posible cause for my hands to be cramping

What would be the posible cause for my hands to be cramping up?

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

the most common reason is a condition called writer's cramp, which is a focal dystonia of the hands

neuromd2012 :

I will get you a webpage on that condition

neuromd2012 :

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1154398-overview

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, please look at this information and then get back to me if you have questions, so we can discuss your options

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asume that you don't just get them from writing. I am a welder and at times its very dificulte to try and hold on to things. What can I do to help this condition? Thank You

that is correct. Anything that requires sustained muscle contraction, like holding a welders' torch could do this. A few questions. Does this only happen in the cold? or in the heat? (is it temperature sensitive). Are you balding, or have "frontal bossing" where your forehead is more prominent? Do you ever notice any bluish discoloration in your hands (raynaud's phenomena). or do you smoke cigarettes? There is also a condition called hypokalemic periodic paralysis, where you lose potassium, and this can happen, so does it happen only when you are sweating and dehydrated?

Writer's cramp is difficult to treat. You can try a TENS device to stimulate muscles in the forearm, that seems to help, you need a neurologist to order that device so it is covered by your insurance. BOTOX injection therapy works well as well, it requires injections into hand muscles that are effected. See a neurologist for an examination, and he should be able to help Dr Frank T
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am almost totally bald, I do smoke cigaretts and mostly happens when it is hot.

well it could still be writer's cramp, but you have a variety of other disorders, as mentioned above, and there is no way to tell from here, they are all "neuromuscular" disorders. You need a neurologist to sort it out. He has to examen you, and do some blood tests, and a test called an EMG examination for myotonia, and you will get the answer. I really cannot get more specific from here, but you need an exact diagnosis to plan treatments. I will attach a webpage on board certified neurologists, you just put in your location, and choose General Neurology, and you will get a listing of docs that can figure this out. get back to me with questions if I can help. Dr Frank T

http://patients.aan.com/findaneurologist/