Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have been having pains in head. They only last a couple

I have been having pains in head. They only last a couple of seconds. They come and go. Are there nerve endings that can cause this?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

Customer: Ok
neuromd2012 :

hi how are you doing?

Customer: Ok
neuromd2012 :

did you try any medication, the fioricet?

neuromd2012 :

hang on

neuromd2012 :

I will send you some information on this problem

neuromd2012 :

Ice Pick Headache

Ice pick headache refers to a type of headache pain that is described as momentary (lasting seconds), sharp, and/or jabbing that occurs either once or several times a day at irregular intervals. It has also been nicknamed the "jabs and jolts" or "stabs and jabs" headache. The pain is most often felt around one eye or the temple area and it recurs in the same place or may move to other places on the same side of the head or the opposite side. These headaches are more likely in patients with migraine or cluster headaches. It is uncommon in the pediatric and adolescent population. This type of headache disappears spontaneously in many cases or can be successfully treated with indomethacin.

neuromd2012 :

can you see that?

Customer: Yes
neuromd2012 :

there are some specific medications you can try for this

neuromd2012 :

if you feel that description matches your pain problem

neuromd2012 :

one is fioricet, what I had mentioned last time

neuromd2012 :

the second is called indocin, or indomethacin

neuromd2012 :

If you are having problems sleeping, because of this headache

neuromd2012 :

you can use a medication which is over the counter, melatonin

neuromd2012 :

taking melatonin at night, especially in women, seems to help this kind of headpain

neuromd2012 :

I would ask if you are going through menopause, as that can also cause these headpains, if you have flushing as well

Customer: Not having problems sleeping. The pain I only lasts for a few seconds. I am post menopausal and yes I do get Hot Flashes
neuromd2012 :

well you could try symptomatic treatment with indocin or fioricet

neuromd2012 :

but have you spoken with your doc about hormonal therapy? using bioidentical estrogens? if you feel this could be from your flashes, with swelling of the scalp giving rise to this type of pain, that might be an approach.

neuromd2012 :

let me get you a webpage from Harvard on hormonal treatments

neuromd2012 :

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/What-are-bioidentical-hormones.htm

Customer: Ok. Would it be more painful if it was something else?
neuromd2012 :

the sensory system on the head is all superficial, you don't get shooting pain from brain tumors for example

neuromd2012 :

or strokes, or anything within the skull

neuromd2012 :

it comes from sensory organs, nerve endings on the scalp

neuromd2012 :

and in the tendons of the muscles

neuromd2012 :

like you mentioned you grind your teeth? that could be a reason for tendon pain, and these ice pick type headpains

neuromd2012 :

usually this pain is pretty intense.

neuromd2012 :

but it is not likely to be a stroke like attack, or any other central nervous system problem

Customer: Ok That does ease my mind a bit. I am sorry for posing the same question but I appreciate the information.
neuromd2012 :

sure

neuromd2012 :

please try not to worry about this, but get some effective treatment, it is trial and error, but you will find something that works for this pain, take this information to your primary care and ask him ok?

neuromd2012 :

I am here anytime if you have questions

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

Customer: Ok Thanks. I have an appt. with my ENT Doctor in a couple of weeks Iwill ask him. Thanks again.
neuromd2012 :

great

neuromd2012 :

you are welcome

neuromd2012 :

bye

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry to bother you again about this, but I did go to the Doctor this morning, because I thought that maybe the problem I have been having was related tot sinuses. I told him the pain comes and goes and is in my forhead, but when I got home I realized that I had not pointed to the correct spot. It is more on the left side of the forehead. It has been pretty good all day, but I just had a pain again on left side. It only lasted a couple of seconds and went away. I wanted to check the Internet to see if it said anything about being sinus related, and of course what I found was something discussing Brain Tumor and it said pain can be on left side of head so now I am nervous about this once again. So sorry for the long post, and I know you have discussed this over and over again with me.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am here for you. What did you doctor think? did he make any suggestions? start you on any meds? Yes, you can have increased intercranial pressure from a tumor, and have these types of lightening pains. In that situation, they seem to be worse when laying down, and resolve when you get up. You usually also feel some nausea, and lightheaded when standing. And then you can have neurological deficits, like visual or language symptoms, seizures, etc.

Have you had a CT or MRI of your brain? Maybe you should see a Neurologist if you feel uncomfortable with this possibility (it is very rare, but does occur). Please get back to me to discuss, and just remember to rate me when you are satisfied. Dr Frank T
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He put me on antibiotics and nasal spray. I had a CT scan done about 6 months back for another issue and that came back fine. I did have the pains last night when I was laying down, but it was not severe just coming and going and then wen away and has only happened once today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
I personally do not think that your symptoms suggest a brain tumor. Anything is possible, but you only have ice pick type headpains, I would treat the sinuses aggressively and see if this improves. It is very rare for you to have these types of symptoms from tumors, usually it is neurological deficits, like loss of vision, or seizures, that tips off the clinician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could these pains be because of the sinuses? Would the pain be more excruciating?, and since I had a CT scan done 6 months back and it came back fine is that a good thing? I was laying down yesterday afternoon and when I got up I was a little lightheaded but that only happened once. No blurred or double vision that I have noticed.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
since you CT is ok, that is a very good thing. Yes, if you sinuses are the source, you can have an inflammatory condition which effects the face and scalp (they swell) and you get these pains.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if it was done6 months ago? I really don't want to go through another one. I know it has a lot of radiation. Would the pain be excruciating? Also yesterday the pains were on the right. And once on the top of the head, and now it is the left. Even with the eyebrow near the temple..
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Even if it were done 6 months ago. Anything that would be there now, and not be there 6 months earlier would be causing more symptoms then occasional head pains. This sounds to me like tension headaches as from stress, and from your writing you seem exceptionally anxious, which would go with tension headaches. It could be sinuses, or the flushing which we discussed, I cannot tell from here, but would rely on the ENT who hopefully looked at you and made an assessment based on facts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was my Primary care physician that I saw.I don't see the ENT until September4th. I tend to get very anxious about my health. I try not to be. Right now I feel fine no pains at all. I am so sorry for all the questions. Would the pain be excruciating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there? I see the ENT on September 4th. The reason I am anxious is because I pinpointed the wrong area this morning when I saw my Primary Care Doctor. I am so sorry for all the questions.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
hi the pain would be excruciating. you are having some health anxiety, try to relax about this. No one that saw you has been overly concerned, your GP, who knows you the best is at the top of that list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry. I wish I could, but we talked mostly about my sinuses and then I pinpointed the wrong area on my head. I pointed to the front instead of the side and I did not realize it until I got home. and then looking on the Internet did not help. I know you can't give me anymore information. I wish I could put my mind at ease.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Kathy, if you pinpointed the wrong area, it is because you are not sure of the area, and that in itself suggests that this is not a serious problem. you need some stress reduction techniques.
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the. Correct area. IIf I could find a picture on the Internet I could show you but I can't so I will just try to relax and hope it goes away. Thanks.