healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinsons about 5 yrs. ago.

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 5 yrs. ago. He was on 3 tab of 50-200 carbidopa-leva, and 3 tabs of .5 mg. of ropinerole when we had to get a new doctor because of our insurance. The new doc said he didn't think husband even had PD, and weened him off the meds. The only symptom that appeared after being off the meds was an increase in swallowing and speaking difficulty. We tried going off meds twice with the same results, so are back on the carb-leva. He has never had any of the classic hand tremors. He does have a bit of a shuffle now.

Can this be PD without any shaking? Is there anything else we should consider or do?
Thank you very much. We don't know which way to turn.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. Parkinson's disease can sometimes present without a tremor. As long as he is tolerating the meds it makes sense to stay on them since they help with his symptoms which is also a good indication that this is PD. Ultimately, the best doctor to turn to is a movement disorder's specialist. This is a specially trained neurologist who specializes in Parkinson's disease and similar disorders.

Customer:

I never see anything discussed anywhere about these particular symptoms, or research or trials being done regarding these symptoms. Do you know of any? Thank you.

healthydoc :

is his voice soft or he has a hard time making words?

Customer:

both and is better and worse at different times

healthydoc :

hypophonia (or soft voice) is a very well documented symptoms of PD

healthydoc :

Swallowing problems (dysphagia) can also occur

healthydoc :

So this is not unique

healthydoc :

sometimes PD patients are treated with deeb brain stimulation (DBS). however, I am not sure how well his particular symtpoms would respond

healthydoc :

excuse me "deep"