Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

4 months ago,I had a severe fall on my head. Injuries included

4 months ago,I had a severe fall on my head. Injuries included C1 fracture,broken ribs and a blood clot. Had to wear a Vista brace on my neck for over 3 months and taking Xarelto for the clot. A few weeks ago I had a burning sensation on the left side of the back of my head. My head hurt to the touch on the outside. I have felt lightheaded, dizzy at times, have balance problems, even problems with my eyes focusing. When I raise my head up, It feels like something is settling and moving inside my head and it hurts. Also, I cannot sleep on my back due to the severe pain. The neck doctor says my fracture is healing well, but I know something is still wrong in my head and neck area. Should I see a neurologist and if so, what is the treatment for this type of injury? Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

Hello

neuromd2012 :

I am waiting for you to come online

neuromd2012 :

in chat

neuromd2012 :

please come into the chat session

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, I will leave you an answer, please get back to me with questions.

neuromd2012 :

what you describe, a burning sensation on the left side of the back of your head, coupled with the

neuromd2012 :

hyperpathic sensation, (it hurts to touch in that area)

neuromd2012 :

are classic symptoms for Greater Occipital Neuralgia

neuromd2012 :

the greater occipital nerve comes out of the cervical vertebra between C2 and 3 and then winds up

neuromd2012 :

through the C1 area, passing on the outside between muscles, to then go up the side of the back of your skull

neuromd2012 :

it provides sensation, and when pinched, will cause the symptoms you describe.

neuromd2012 :

Certainly given your history, this would be the most likely reason for the pain complaint.

neuromd2012 :

It would not, however, explain the visual symptoms, feeling lightheaded, and dizzy.

neuromd2012 :

just the pain/burning sensation

neuromd2012 :

I will leave you a webpage on GON (greater occipital neuralgia), the treatment is a nerve block .

neuromd2012 :

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/headache/conditions/occipital_neuralgia.html

neuromd2012 :

In terms of the other symptoms, I would suggest you see a neurologist as you need a neurological examination to determine cause.

neuromd2012 :

please get back to me to discuss this further when you are online if I can help Dr Frank T

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
neuromd2012 : Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.
neuromd2012 : Hello
neuromd2012 : I am waiting for you to come online
neuromd2012 : in chat
neuromd2012 : please come into the chat session
neuromd2012 : as you are offline, I will leave you an answer, please get back to me with questions.
neuromd2012 : what you describe, a burning sensation on the left side of the back of your head, coupled with the
neuromd2012 : hyperpathic sensation, (it hurts to touch in that area)
neuromd2012 : are classic symptoms for Greater Occipital Neuralgia
neuromd2012 : the greater occipital nerve comes out of the cervical vertebra between C2 and 3 and then winds up
neuromd2012 : through the C1 area, passing on the outside between muscles, to then go up the side of the back of your skull
neuromd2012 : it provides sensation, and when pinched, will cause the symptoms you describe.
neuromd2012 : Certainly given your history, this would be the most likely reason for the pain complaint.
neuromd2012 : It would not, however, explain the visual symptoms, feeling lightheaded, and dizzy.
neuromd2012 : just the pain/burning sensation
neuromd2012 : I will leave you a webpage on GON (greater occipital neuralgia), the treatment is a nerve block .
neuromd2012 : http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/headache/conditions/occipital_neuralgia.html
neuromd2012 : In terms of the other symptoms, I would suggest you see a neurologist as you need a neurological examination to determine cause.
neuromd2012 : please get back to me to discuss this further when you are online if I can help Dr Frank T
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.