Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Rhodiola, DMAE, and healthy Vitamin B while taking Nortryp

Customer Question

Rhodiola, DMAE, and healthy Vitamin B while taking Nortryptiline?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

Hello. as a Neurologist, I would suggest you not use herbal products at all during the time you are trying to decide if Nortriptyline is helpful in reducing or eliminating your CDH (chronic daily headaches).

I looked at both of these substances, Rhodiola and DMAE. The truth is that although there is benefit, you really do not know how they work, and there is no useful information as to how they interact with nortriptyline, either in terms of absorption in the GI tract, or transfer across the BBB (blood brain barrier). I have experience working in brain imaging, using compounds in PET to track their utilization in the brain, and one thing I've learned is that many of the herbal compounds, Ginkgo Biloba, for example, does not interfere with specific receptor binding in the brain, but interferes with transfer of these medications in the blood and across the blood brain barrier. In the lab, we do not test subjects taking herbal medications.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is you do not know. So in an "experimental" treatment where you are trying to decide if Pamelor helps, you lose that ability to tell.

One thing at a time. Try the pamelor alone, and see if it works, If you are feeling better on Pamelor, you can then add the herbal meds and see if that improves your mood/affect or not. I think taking a single Vitamin B complex is fine, but using extra pyridoxine or cyanocobalamin could also interfere with the actions of Pamelor. Please get back to me if you have questions. Dr Frank t

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. From now on, I won't drink the drink I usually drink (1-3 x a week). I have only been on the Pamelor 3 days and just drank my drink with the Rhodiola and DMAE in it this morning for the first time. I will stop. Thanks for the help!

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
sure good luck. DMAE especially has the potential of interfering with the actions of Pamelor in terms of transport across the BBB.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Is this something I need to worry about? The packet I drank this morning is this: http://www.iweightloss.com/visalus-neuro-lemon-lift-packets.html

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Nothing to worry about, it may just blunt the response of the nortriptyline for these past days. I would not take it now.
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about caffeine of green tea?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hi. that is fine. anything is moderation is fine. I just wouldn't address the same neurochemistry with other agents during this trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why would it feel as if something is inside my skull causing me headaches? The feeling has been there for months now. I am hoping the pamelor helps heal me. The brain MRI was negative, but I am tempted to get another one done.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
HI. Although it might feel like it is inside your skull, neuroanatomically, you cannot feel inside your skull. You can feel non-localized pain from the coverings of the brain. (meningeal pain). If you have had an MRI in the last year, another scan is unlikely to give you any new information, unless you were diagnosed with a demyelinating disease like MS.
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. My head still feels like it weighs 1000 lbs. I have also noticed occasional pain near my temples which is new for me. I am 5 days into the 10mg of Pamelor. Haven't noticed anything yet. I am hoping when I bump it up to 25mg I notice some relief. I never imagined I would deal with a headache that lasted 8 months. Especially a random one without any flags that myself or doctors can figure out that are causing it.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hi. This med takes at least 3 weeks to exert receptor changes, and you are only on 10 mg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. My ENT has me going to get an autoimmune blood test tomorrow. Could this be a possible cause of chronic headaches. I don't have my hopes up but I figured at this point, its worth a shot.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
there are some autoimmune disorders that will give you isolated unilateral headaches, not what your describe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I just had blood work done for Lyme and Autoimmune diseases ordered by my ENT. He told me that he has seen very similar symptoms as mine show up as Lyme or Autoimmune. I do not have high hopes, its worth a shot though. Sorry to bother with so many questions. I am constantly wondering about things I am going through with the headaches.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I certainly agree with you, that you should rule out other possibilities, especially because they are treatable in a completely different manner. Lyme can give you headache, but it suggests "meningeal" inflammation from CNS disease, and you usually have other signs, like facial weakness (Bell's palsy) or something else, so it is unlikely statistically, but it is only a blood test. Let me know if I can help Dr Frank T
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it ok to take ibuprofen or aleve while taking pamelor?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. yes, that is fine, take with food and the recommended dose.