Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I went to the doctor because I was yawning excessively and

I went to the doctor because I was yawning excessively and was told that I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my brain. After a CT scan I was told that I have spots (calcium deposits) on my brain that was causing the oxygen supply to my brain to be limited. After additional testing they concluded that I could POSSIBLY have Fahr's disease and will be doing further testing to verify. How is this disease diagnosed and what is the treatment, if any for it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

Hello. Fahr's Disease is a very rare disorder. The hallmark of this disease is bilateral symmetric calcifications of the basal ganglia, in the setting of normal calcium and phosphate levels in the blood, and no diseases of the parathyroid gland or kidneys that would cause an abnormally high levels of these minerals.

neuromd2012 :

Fahr's disease is inherited, in an autosomal dominant pattern, so one of your parents should have calcification as well.

Customer:

I currently have a thyroid disease, would that contribute to it?

neuromd2012 :

hello. what type of thyroid disease?

Customer:

I think my mother did

neuromd2012 :

ok

neuromd2012 :

if you have parathyroid disease

neuromd2012 :

you can have calcifications, but you do not have Fahr's disease

Customer:

i had hyperthyroidism at first but then i had the IS131 (i think that's ehat it was called) and now I'm hypothyroid

neuromd2012 :

Fahr's is calcification without any endocrine reason

neuromd2012 :

right

neuromd2012 :

well this is the thing

neuromd2012 :

if you had hyperthyroidism, you probably had an autoimmune inflammatory process in your thyroid

neuromd2012 :

and with that, you can have parathyroid disease

neuromd2012 :

and that can alter your serum calcium and magnesium levels

neuromd2012 :

also, I believe that treatment with I-131 can effect your parathyroid

Customer:

ok, this info helps a lot

neuromd2012 :

I am not sure of that, but I would ask to check your serum PTH

neuromd2012 :

level, which is a marker for parathyroid function ok?

Customer:

i will do that, thanks so much

neuromd2012 :

wait

neuromd2012 :

Fahr's is a genetic disease

neuromd2012 :

and you can be screened by a geneticist

neuromd2012 :

hang on

neuromd2012 :

I will get you a paper on that

Customer:

my mother was never diagnosed with it but based on some of the symptoms, I thnk she may have had it...she too had a thyroid disease and died from complications of a stroke

neuromd2012 :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577762/#!po=54.3478

neuromd2012 :

that is a paper on the genetics of Fahr's disease

Customer:

thank you so much

neuromd2012 :

I see

neuromd2012 :

you are welcome

neuromd2012 :

good luck

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

neuromd2012 :

bye

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.