KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX or before my father pass i

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX or before my father pass i was struggling with a little numbness in my fingertips...now since both of my parents pass i been have the uncomfortable feel and pain in my neck and my lower shoulder blade feel like it hurt and then my arms down to my fingertip are tingly sizzling and feel like my fingertips are numb and my elbow are very sore and tingly and sizzling too, what is the problem that i cant sleep at night nor lay on my left side, the pain is more unbareable at night than day, and the tingly and sizzling last about 3 to 5 min. and then there a lingering pain and soreness?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charlene, thanks for your question.

I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.

With the symptoms you are describing, it is most likely that the cause would be that there may be a nerve being compressed in the neck portion of the spine (cervical spine), likely a nerve exiting from the spinal canal. This can occur if there is a bone or disk in the spine that puts pressure on an exiting nerve root. These types of problems often can occur if someone has had trauma or injury to the neck, but other times can arise simply with time in some individuals.

Another possibility could be a nerve compression in the arm such as in the elbow or the wrist which can produce numbness in the fingertips, but the neck and shoulder pain make the cervical spine a more likely area that is causing your symptoms.

Often for this type of problem, antiinflammatory medication can be used, and physical therapy can be a useful treatment. In longer lasting or more severe cases, surgery for the spine can be needed. Often, these types of problems can improve simply with time.

I would strongly advise trying to see a doctor if possible this week to get your treatment started, and to determine if any tests are needed. Sometimes, an MRI of the Cervical Spine or another test called a nerve conduction test can help in diagnosing the problem.

KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.