Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Neurology....Id like more info on the oxcibitable nerve (I

Neurology....I'd like more info on the oxcibitable nerve (I know I'm now spelling it correctly); it is the two nerves located at the base of the skull (on on each side) and ending above the eyes. Could you spell it for me please, too? A website would be helpful. My neurologist is sending me in for shots in each next week for shooting pains that are causing me extreme headaches, dizziness, etc (a host of other problems are also going on...this is just a small part). Thanks!
Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

Hello. You are referring to the greater occipital nerve (GON), or maybe the Lesser occipital nerve, it depends on the exact area of pain on the base of your skull, it it moves more toward your ear, instead of the top of your head, it can the the lesser occipital nerve. But the Neurologist is sending you for a Greater Occipital Nerve block. This nerve originates high up on the cervical spine, between C2/3 and C3/4, and comes together to follow a path up the back of your skull.

I will leave you a webpage on this problem, please get back to me if you have questions. Dr Frank t
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX This helps...with the 6 concussions I've had over the last 4 years and seizures for 11+ years now + disk problems that I'm in PT for now it makes sense why I would be having this particular problem. I appreciate the help...I should have asked my Doc to go into further detail but I my BP was running pretty low at the time 80/55 and wasn't thinking too clearly at the time (just another problem I'm dealing with...go figure).

I am here. Your pressure sensation with pain in the back of your head could also be seen in the setting of low blood pressure, but on examination in GON, using a sharp pin on the scalp, you should notice that the sensation to light tapping is reduced in the area of the scalp on the back of the head.