healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist

This may or may not have anything to do with neurology but

This may or may not have anything to do with neurology but perhaps you can help. I've suffered with costochondriasis for several years now off and on. Is there some way to get off the pain roller coaster. I seem to re-injure myself several times a year and it is painful. The only advice from doctors so far is to take an antiinflammatory and rest.
Would a cortozone shot do me any good or at least extend the time between episodes?
I'm a 58 year old male - no other health problems and I originally injured myself while helping an old horse to his feet. No torn pectoral muscles but a painful strain. I can re-injure myself when I lift too much or just from repetitive stress (hammering, painting etc.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question. I personally do not like cortisone injections because steroid injections typically do more harm than good to tissues and joints in the long run. Also, they do not help to avoid recurrences but only treat the acute pain. My only other advice would be to consider physical therapy to strengthen your chest and arms to help minimize the strain on the area of injury by making movements more efficient and less strenuous. But do make sure you work with an experienced PT so as not to actually aggravate your injury.