Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Hi Dr, My name is XXXXX XXXXX . Let me give you a bit of history

Customer Question

Hi Dr, My name is XXXXX XXXXX . Let me give you a bit of history before i get into my details of the current issue. About more than a month ago we had an activity of pole jumping in a park there were 20pole lined up and you have to push and jump over them consecutively. After the day of that activity i had a pain in my left elbow (i wouldnt say pain , mild discomfort) and i had tingling feeling in my finger. I saw a NP the next day and she thought it was ulnar nerve entrapment and she put me on IBUPROFEN 200mg twice a day. After a week , i got up with a stron pain in left shoulder may be i slept on one side all day. I could move my arm but there was one movement that caused the pain, I waited for 2 days didnt go ,so went and saw a chiropractor. he took an x ray of my spine and said my cervical structure was more straightned that curvy he put me on therapy (STIM and traction) couple of days after that the pain was gone, but i started to get pin prick feeling all over my body at random places I told the chiropractor and he said its because of your cervical strutcure there could a pinched nerve and showed me some simulation of how could it happen. I was undergoing therapy and as days passed by the pin prick feeling was reduced. I had some some near my abdomen area as well and my NP gave me Medrsol Dose Pak and Robaxin because i had sciatica pain in my right leg because of long driving ,during the same week the pricks in my abdomen went and i was started to feel better. Now a few days back I start to get the pin prick again ( I started to get when i was drinking beer) and it lasted for two days I had driven to columbus for the weekend. When i was driving back I had that pin prick feel by the time i reached home it was gone , I had some mild pin prick here and there but nothing painful. so that went say, a couple of days back I thought let me see a nuerologist and make sure that this doesnt strike back. The nuerologist heard my story and he did not physical examination (reflexes, balance with eyes closed and senses with eyes closed) and didnt say anything. He told we will take a MRI of the spine to see where the pricks are coming from and showed me a spine and said that if the inner nerves are pressed it might cause pin pricks at different places, Also , he did mention about lyme disease that could causes the same way, Now he hasnt sent the MRI request form to the scanning office I have to wait till they call me for an appointment. Now i am getting better with the pin pricks, the same day after i came office from the nuerologist i started to feel my right arm was weak, I started googling and there were some forums on MS/ALS, I was scared to death with it.Yesterday, i felt my arm was fine by my leg was kinda weak and i started getting twitches in my calf especially but it was widespread near my toes, thighs and the back in my arm (both left and right but more prominent near my right calf).I started googling same forums pointing to ALS and MS So i tried all this jump with right foot, standing on right foot, doing skipping on one foot and also jumping stairs ( i saw some article where a person with ALS cannot do all that) but i still scares me . I called my nueroligist today and he prescribed me muscle relaxant it Lorzone 750mg . Now after i was done with all the phone talk with my nuerologist I started to office by the time i came to office my right leg is feeling better byt my right arm is feeling weak now,I tried opening a bottle, grabbing something in my hand (I typed this whole message with both arms). And i feel no twitch in my arm though just weak and little shaky. I am all worried now, I get worried for nothing.. Can you please help. I still have twiching n both my legs but its very infrequent that yesterday. I have low Vitamin D as well,I am taking 5000UI of Vitamin twice a day for week and once every week for three weeks. Not sure whats causing all this problem.. Please help
PS..
This is was a question out to another neurologist a couple of days back, from that time my leg feels a lot better but my arm is still weak , i feel its more cold than my left, weak as in I can do my daily routine but feel a little heavy and I feel like it originating from the elbow, and my pin prick feeling are almost gone.I do feel them here and there once in a while. As for my twitches they are still there but has definitely reduced I dont feel them when in movement. When at rest its mostly in my leg are both leg and right and sometime on the upper body.I am not sure what happening to me.. I am really scared, I get up every morning thinking that i have something serious and cant go back to sleep.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 9 months ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

hello. waiting for you to come online

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, I will leave you a statement, please get back to me if you have questions

neuromd2012 :

I would say from your lengthy description, and your ability to look at yourself and admit that you are scared

neuromd2012 :

that this is most likely a case of health anxiety, and most if not all of your symptoms can be

neuromd2012 :

linked to that possibility. The diffuse twitches in a young athletic male with good muscle tone is benight

neuromd2012 :

benign fasciculation syndrome at an incidence of 1:80 as opposed to ALS at an incidence of 1:200000

neuromd2012 :

your muscle spasm and increased tone which initially responded to chiropractic manipulation is

neuromd2012 :

part of BFS commonly, and the tingling you feel could be part of increased muscle tone in the spine.

neuromd2012 :

This happens as the small nerve fibers are pinched by the muscles as they exit the spine.

neuromd2012 :

I would suggest you consider trying the muscle relaxant.

neuromd2012 :

that would also give you some indication of the effect of this increased muscle tone on your tingling response

neuromd2012 :

please get back to me if you have questions I could answer, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank T

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
neuromd2012 : Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.
neuromd2012 : hello. waiting for you to come online
neuromd2012 : as you are offline, I will leave you a statement, please get back to me if you have questions
neuromd2012 : I would say from your lengthy description, and your ability to look at yourself and admit that you are scared
neuromd2012 : that this is most likely a case of health anxiety, and most if not all of your symptoms can be
neuromd2012 : linked to that possibility. The diffuse twitches in a young athletic male with good muscle tone is benight
neuromd2012 : benign fasciculation syndrome at an incidence of 1:80 as opposed to ALS at an incidence of 1:200000
neuromd2012 : your muscle spasm and increased tone which initially responded to chiropractic manipulation is
neuromd2012 : part of BFS commonly, and the tingling you feel could be part of increased muscle tone in the spine.
neuromd2012 : This happens as the small nerve fibers are pinched by the muscles as they exit the spine.
neuromd2012 : I would suggest you consider trying the muscle relaxant.
neuromd2012 : that would also give you some indication of the effect of this increased muscle tone on your tingling response
neuromd2012 : please get back to me if you have questions I could answer, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank T

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi doctor , thanks for your response... I am not sure if this all anxiety related but I do get lil worried when I start gettin something I have experienced before ... Now .. The question that still bothers me is this , why am I gettin weakness in my same right arm ,could a pinched nerve do it . Also when I am walking I feel like I am more conscious when I keep my right foot down . I feel like I'm limping And also my hamstring I believe the muscle
Behind my knee joint feels pulled .
After looking through all the forums , I'm scared like hell . This is the second nuerologist that I taking a opinion online .. I am not sure , if its even worth worrying about . I don't want to get of my bed thinking that might fall down when walking . "Are these called anxiety ??""

Thanks
I can tell you that having practiced neurology for over 20 years, that your symptoms are much more likely to be related to anxiety that "true" neurological disease. The problem always is if you could have both, some neurological problem, and then a lot of anxiety symptoms covering up or contaminating the diagnosis of a neurologic disease. That is the reason for the examination and the imaging study/EMG testing. There is no question that a pinched cervical nerve root, the same thing giving you a straightening of your cervical spine, could give you weakness into the arm, usually associated with the sense of pain lancinating or shooting into the arm, and tingling/numbness in the hand. The leg symptoms are more obscure, especially this issue about falling down when getting out of bed, that sounds like anxiety. I would try to focus on not reading into this too much, to stay out of the forums, as it breeds anxiety, and try some refocusing on other issues not related to health.
Please get back to me with questions if I can help Dr Frank T
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your response doc .. One last thing .. Now I have these twitches that is pretty consistent in my right leg doesn't last long once in a while it just comes and goes and it's pretty spread like I get if my arm and abdomen abd even my eyes.as I mentioned before my right also feels weak I think I'm walking a little different not like a drop foot but more stiff foot steps ..I didn't feel the weakness again until yesterday when I drove for a couple of hours . When I got down I start feel the weakness I could walk but felt weakness radiating from my back .. I started walking for sometime and pain weakness went away , I still have weakness but I can still do other things .. I have an MRI scheduled not until next week .. What does this sound like .. Also my right arm feels weak I was telling you about the time I had pin pricks that came back after a lifted a really heavy bag to check into a hotel after I put the bag down a couple of sec later I started to feel pin pricks all over my body also had a mild neck spasm .. And now I feel like my left face is pulled down , and some muscle around my neck are little hard but that goes away after some time after I do some massage . What does this all mean.. I feel like living a life with more problems andno fun
Hi Alan. I do not know what this is here online. We have discussed health anxiety, and certainly it could be that. We have discussed BFS, there are studies showing that patients with BFS often have health anxiety. That is not to say it is not real to you (the weakness obviously seems real to you) , but I would just try to relax and see what the MRI shows you. Certainly waiting a week will not make any difference what so ever. Try to focus on other aspects of your life, your work, career, whatever works for you.