Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Can dyslexia appear on an MRI. If so, can it be confused so

Can dyslexia appear on an MRI. If so, can it be confused so other neurology issues?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

I am waiting for you to come online

neuromd2012 :

to answer your question

neuromd2012 :

in a chat session

neuromd2012 :

hello

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline

neuromd2012 :

I will leave you an answer

neuromd2012 :

please get back to me when you are online to discuss

neuromd2012 :

To answer your question, " Can dyslexia appear on an MRI?"

neuromd2012 :

the answer is actually yes and no

neuromd2012 :

routine MRI, as done to determine if you have had a stroke or tumor, etc

neuromd2012 :

will not find any specific abnormality to suggest dyslexia

neuromd2012 :

for many years there was a theory that grey matter in certain areas of the brain would be thicker as a result

neuromd2012 :

of having dyslexia, but that was studied and never proven

neuromd2012 :

But there is another type of MRI, called functional MRI of fMRI

neuromd2012 :

and with that test you can look at "activation" of the brain or changes in oxygen utilization in the brain regionally

neuromd2012 :

while doing a task in the MRI

neuromd2012 :

so you do a task that makes the dyslexic subject work, and you can see the changes in the brain as compared to normal patients

neuromd2012 :

there are currently clinical studies underway looking at that change

neuromd2012 :

I will attach a webpage of a study being done by Lilly pharmaceuticals, to look at Atomoxetine (Strattera)

neuromd2012 :

on patients with dyslexia, using fMRI

neuromd2012 :

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00716274?term=fMRI+and+dyslexia&rank=1

neuromd2012 :

please get back to me with questions about this if I can help Dr Frank T

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
neuromd2012 : Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.
neuromd2012 : I am waiting for you to come online
neuromd2012 : to answer your question
neuromd2012 : in a chat session
neuromd2012 : hello
neuromd2012 : as you are offline
neuromd2012 : I will leave you an answer
neuromd2012 : please get back to me when you are online to discuss
neuromd2012 : To answer your question, " Can dyslexia appear on an MRI?"
neuromd2012 : the answer is actually yes and no
neuromd2012 : routine MRI, as done to determine if you have had a stroke or tumor, etc
neuromd2012 : will not find any specific abnormality to suggest dyslexia
neuromd2012 : for many years there was a theory that grey matter in certain areas of the brain would be thicker as a result
neuromd2012 : of having dyslexia, but that was studied and never proven
neuromd2012 : But there is another type of MRI, called functional MRI of fMRI
neuromd2012 : and with that test you can look at "activation" of the brain or changes in oxygen utilization in the brain regionally
neuromd2012 : while doing a task in the MRI
neuromd2012 : so you do a task that makes the dyslexic subject work, and you can see the changes in the brain as compared to normal patients
neuromd2012 : there are currently clinical studies underway looking at that change
neuromd2012 : I will attach a webpage of a study being done by Lilly pharmaceuticals, to look at Atomoxetine (Strattera)
neuromd2012 : on patients with dyslexia, using fMRI
neuromd2012 : http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00716274?term=fMRI+and+dyslexia&rank=1
neuromd2012 : please get back to me with questions about this if I can help Dr Frank T