Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Hello, I was diagnosed with having Small Vessel Disease and

Hello, I was diagnosed with having Small Vessel Disease and have an appointment with an nuerologist to discuss memory and balance issues. I experience shortness of breathe, fatigue, heavy chest and occasionally chest pains mostly while in bed. I assume the MRI shows all the vessels in the. Would it be wise to consult a cardiologist first or stay with the neurology appointment?

neuromd2012 :

Welcome to Just Answer. I am an Adult Neurologist and was contacted to answer your question.

neuromd2012 :

I would ask you about the diagnosis of small vessel disease of the brain, based on an MRI of the brain (?)

neuromd2012 :

do you have risk factors? high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol or lipids, family history of stroke/heart attack (small vessel disease), smoking? Migraine headaches?

neuromd2012 :

shortness of breath, fatigue, chest pain, have you had a Chest Xray? do you have any lymph node enlargement?

neuromd2012 :

did this come on suddenly (sarcoidosis)?

neuromd2012 :

as you are offline, please get back to me to discuss, ask questions Dr Frank t

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is in reference to small vessel disorder. The radiologist said it is small and may be due to high cholesterol . My family has a history of diabetes. I have not been checked for it. My father died due to hardening of the arteries. Other symptoms include dizziness, balance and memory.
HI. If you have memory problems, balance and dizziness, it could be a combination of the high cholesterol, as well as the family history. There are a few familial syndromes, CADASIL is one which is fairly common. In this familial condition, pretty much everyone in the family has a history of stroke and/or heart attack. You might want to discuss this with your neurologist as there are genetic tests if interested. I would suggest you see the neurologist as well as a cardiologist based on your symptoms, but the cardiac symptoms are more critical in terms of your acute health. You should be checked for diabetes with a fasting blood sugar measurement, and a Hgb A1c test. I will attach a webpage on CADASIL, please get back to me with questions if I can help Dr Frank T
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1423170-overview