Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

have been treated 3 yrs for p. n. in feet; take 3 meds incl.

Customer Question

have been treated 3 yrs for p. n. in feet; take 3 meds incl. Lyrica ; ft just get worse;doc says everybody diff; am afraid of drop foot development; am I just unlucky; female 83 yrs; IS DROP FOOT INEVITABLE?? doc a podiatrist; shld I seek neurology spec
in town: Richmond, VA
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Pearl. There is no question that if you have a peripheral neuropathy, that you should see a Neurologist that specializes in PN. Drop foot is not an inevitable consequence of PN, but the most important aspect for you is to seek a diagnosis as to cause if possible (are you labeled with essential neuropathy?) and to determine if this is a demyelinating, axonal, a combination of the two, or small fiber neuropathy. Is there motor and/or sensory involvement? Is it hereditary, acquired secondary to some disease state, toxic/nutritional? A neurologist will do an exam, some blood work, and an EMG examination to test the peripheral nerves, and be able to help you with a diagnosis and treatment plan. Please get back to me if you have questions. Dr Frank T