DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

neurology..i ave been researching for months. I have a nerve

neurology..i ave been researching for months. I have a nerve disorder. it is not my muscles..it is sensory nerves to pain. a small bread crust thrown at my arms is painfull..I sew alot and a needle prick is sooooo painfull.
I got an allergy pick test..and the pain was unbearable..the doctor said she never saw anyone like me.'
in my daily life i am fine..i just avoid edges on handles..or plastic lids w edges..even these feel sharp...my keys
I was told on a blood test that i have low B12..I also have low thyroid.
I am 58 and feel great...except for the pain thing..but avoidance and I am fine.
my friend said I need a brain scan to see if the coating on my nerves is thin.
QUESTION: what is the disorder or immune disease..and can it progress..and what can i do.looking back it has been a long time..just didn't realize it!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine, so I can cover about any question you might have, as well as your follow up questions. Use reply to expert at any time you need to.

Great question.
Technically this is called tactile hyperesthesia.

Sensitive to any touch.

This can be do to peripheral neuropathy which has many causes.

But it can also be due to central processing problems, how the brain handles pain.

It is probably not all in your heat.

Low B12 can contribute to this problem. All B vitamins should be checked and replaced.

Vitamin D needs to be checked.

You need a neurological exam to see if there is any other indicated testing at this point.

So a neurologist should be consulted first.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is is not sensitive to touch..sensitive to pain..i am fine unless some one hits my back..back is really bad. but when I step on a crumb..i can feel it. if no crumb I am fine in daily life.

why are my vitamins low..I take daily supplements

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
You can have low B12 because you don't have intrinsic factor, which is produced by the stomach.

If this is the case, you need injections.

An internal medicine doctor or neurologist can figure this out for you by doing the correct labs.

The degree of sensitivity to pain can also be genetic.

Especially if you have always been this way.

You need to correct any underlying findings however, as it sets you up for pain syndromes more than average.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did send my last question..is this deadly

can I be disabled.

can it affect other organs

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
No usually it is genetic and not disabiling or deadly.

However, B12 deficiency can become damaging and disabiling, and needs to be corrected promptly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my level is 512...that is not so low..

so you think low b12 can cause me to feel pain..I can feel a hair being pulled...a shower feels like hot nails

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
There are many causes of neuropathy
Heavy metal toxicity
Any b vitamin deficiency
Autoimmune disease
Liver or kidney problems.
Exaggerated pain responses and cytokine responses in the body.
Excess opioid use.

But in this case this might be genetic.

A neurologist will have to examine you to see what findings you have.

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years