Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Hi, I am a 31 yr old female. When I was 6 yrs old I broke

Hi, I am a 31 yr old female. When I was 6 yrs old I broke my wrist. After setting the bones back in place, I guess some veins, etc were caught in the bones. They had to do surgery to replace proper blood flow to my hand. Has always been weaker and felt slightly different but never caused major problems. About 8 years ago I began experiencing pain in my trapezius muscle area, which gradually spread to my neck, back, arm/wrist. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Myofacial Pain Disorder, anxiety & depression. Now have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel and am having trouble with everyday life. I thought there may be some light shed on the subject with some nerve condunction or EMG to see if there was nerve damage during the surgery when I was 6 yrs old. Any insight would be appreciated. I don't have insurance and as you know neurology is not cheap. Would these tests be beneficial to me in your opinion?
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. If your were diagnosed with CTS, then an EMG would be valuable to confirm that diagnosis. An EMG includes two parts, the Nerve Conduction Study, and the needle EMG. The NCS study especially could look at the properties of the median nerve, both motor and sensory components, and be able to tell if you met criteria for conduction slowing or block which would be seen in CTS. As you had an injury at the age of 6, you would also show changes in the muscle examination done during needle EMG, and that could suggest damage to the median, ulnar, and/or radial nerve. Both parts of this study should be done comparatively with the other arm. So it would help to differentiate CTS, from myofascial pain syndrome, or cervical radiculopathy. Dr Frank T