Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am a 26 year old female and try to stay quite active. My

I am a 26 year old female and try to stay quite active. My job is very active and physically challenging and i tend to receive injuries from work due to the nature of working with children with challenging behaviours and autism. On a regular basis it is important to restrain a child due to their physical and aggressive behaviours. I have been suffering with leg, arm and back pain for over three months now. My right leg is very sensitive to touch and feels like a tight elastic band is wrapped around the leg below the knee. The leg felt heated three months ago and now i have a constant pain which makes balance and walking difficult. The leg feels very heavy and at times numb. My left arm also feels numb from the hand up to the elbow and a tight sensation at the wrist. I sustained a back injury at work four months ago from when a child hit me full force in the back and the next day i was unable to move from a horizontal position without extreme pain. I am able to work but this problem has left me weaker and unable to fulfill the job role fully. I have a lot of problems walking and have a severe limp when i do. I have found going down slopes and stairs to cause issues and lose balance when doing so. I have consulted my doc about this and they enquired if i may have had a blunt trauma (car crash) which i said no, when i mentioned being hit they were sure it was unlikely to cause severe problems. They couldn't give me any diagnosis and they have booked a neurology appointment which is in three months time. Is there anything i can do to help these symptoms until then? I take voltarol to help with the back pain but have nothing for the leg and arm issues. Thankyou.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

neuromd2012 :

Hello

neuromd2012 :

welcome to Just Answer

neuromd2012 :

I am an adult neurologist

neuromd2012 :

waiting to see if you come online

Customer:

neuromd2012 :

hi

neuromd2012 :

are you there?

Customer:

hello

neuromd2012 :

hi

neuromd2012 :

so your symptoms by history I would not suggest as related to trauma from a child hitting you in the back

neuromd2012 :

you have arm and leg paresthesis

neuromd2012 :

a feeling of banding

neuromd2012 :

on the leg and at the wrist

neuromd2012 :

and your gait problem

neuromd2012 :

seems to be more of an imbalance or loss of proprioception (position sense)

Customer:

what can i do to help this?

neuromd2012 :

making it difficult to walk down slopes

neuromd2012 :

well you need a neurological examination for starters

neuromd2012 :

the exam really defines treatment

Customer:

is there anything i can take to ease the symptoms?

neuromd2012 :

there are no medications for leg heaviness and numbness

neuromd2012 :

you can try Multivitamins, B complex, to improve peripheral nerve function

Customer:

any exercise that would help?

neuromd2012 :

but you really need more of a diagnosis

neuromd2012 :

do you have neck pain as well as lower back pain?

Customer:

more shoulder than the neck

neuromd2012 :

I am more concerned about the severe limp,

neuromd2012 :

and the problems walking. As a neurologist, if I could examen you, I might suggest an exercise program, once

neuromd2012 :

certain problems were excluded

neuromd2012 :

but I would not say to start exercise given your current symptoms

Customer:

my right knee keeps giving in as the doc said its compensating for the weak left leg.

neuromd2012 :

you do not describe a peripheral nerve problem

Customer:

so im to exercise the left knee but not the right

neuromd2012 :

but more one of the central nervous system

neuromd2012 :

I see

neuromd2012 :

well mild exercise does help for weakness, but I am more concerned regarding incoordination of the leg

Customer:

slopes and stairs are harder but walking in general causes a limp.

neuromd2012 :

could you have an inflammatory arthropathy? like rheumatoid arthritis?

neuromd2012 :

with all these joint problems

Customer:

how would i know that?

neuromd2012 :

any blood work that they did?

Customer:

not as of yet

neuromd2012 :

I see. well an xray series of your hip and knee

neuromd2012 :

and some blood work. an RA, sed rate, C reactive protein

neuromd2012 :

anyone in your family with severe arthritis?

neuromd2012 :

fibromyalgia?

Customer:

would you recommend seeing a specialist privately instead of waiting three months for an nhs appointment?

Customer:

no one

neuromd2012 :

If you can afford it, yes

neuromd2012 :

to see if you have a neurological problem effecting your gait, the way you walk,

neuromd2012 :

and the "band" like sensations you feel

neuromd2012 :

as I had mentioned that can be a central nervous system problem

Customer:

is it all easily treatable?

neuromd2012 :

HI. Unfortunately I cannot answer that question without a diagnosis.

neuromd2012 :

if you have an inflammatory arthropathy, or a related disease like fibromyalgia

neuromd2012 :

then you can get symptomatic treatments

neuromd2012 :

there are a variety of medications to make you have less pain

neuromd2012 :

and improve joint function

Customer:

thankyou.

neuromd2012 :

sure

neuromd2012 :

please come back anytime if I can help

neuromd2012 :

Dr Frank T

neuromd2012 :

please rate my service if you can

neuromd2012 :

bye

Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.