Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

Good morning....are there any imaging studies that look into

Good morning....are there any imaging studies that look into blood flow to the brain without having to inject dye? I have had chronic daily nonspecific dizziness for two years. It has gone away at time, but mostly happens daily. Have not blacked out, so I guess that rules out blood flow problems? Help

A MR angiogram can be done without dye, to look at the bloodflow within the brain.

The other tests, such as a MR angiogram with dye, or a CT angiogram use intravenous contrast, which is what you are trying to avoid.

However, the blood flow test - angiogram - is probably not going to find a reason for your dizziness, as these tests are more designed to find out reasons for stroke, or aneurysms, rather than causes for "dizziness".

Nevertheless, if you wish to discuss with your doctor, the MR angiogram (or MRA for short) can be done without dye.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. So a non dye Mara would show blood flow to brain? Also - could dizziness without passing out be related to blood glow to brain? Thanks
Yes, a MRA without dye will show blood vessels in the brain.Dizziness without passing out could be related to compromised blood flow to the brain, but typically this would be an issue which would be more constant in nature -- e.g. blood flow in most cases doesn't decrease for a short period of time (causing temporary "dizziness"), then return to normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gotcha thanks!!! I do have the dizziness most of the time BUT it always varies on intensity. I can exercise normally. I do get mild headaches here and there. I have had 2 brain MRI no contrast - no voids found. This does not sound like blood flow problem correct? Again, I have never passed out, I also get neck stiffness sometimes.
Yes, this does not sound like a blood flow problem.People with blood flow problems to the brain usually have serious issues (strokes, paralysis, speech problems, etc).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could this be chronic subjective dizziness?
If there is no neurologic basis for the dizziness, and the dizziness seems to come on with anxiety, then it could be related.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Both mris were fine. It does not come with anxiety. My inner eAr and heart are fine. What este should I look into?