KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.

I am 38 years old and I am a female and have migraine headaches.

I am 38 years old and I am a female and have migraine headaches. I have had migraines for about 10 years. I have about 4 to 5 per month, and they are very severe. I have nausea and occasional vomiting. I have the sensation of flashing lights in my eyes before I get the headache. The headaches are more often on the right than left. They seem to come most frequently on weekends and when I am due for my period. They last about 6 to 8 hours, and they are umproved by going into a dark room and lying down with a cllo cloth on my forehead. I havent sought treatment before because I hate doctors and Ive just been too bysy. I finally decided that I neede to do something now because Ive been missing work, and they seem to be getting more frequent. I have tried acetaminophen 1000 mg every 4 hours when I get a headache, but it has minima; effect. I have not noticed particular foods or activities that casue my headaches. I have not history of head trauma. What do you suggest? What would help me?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

KarayanMD :

Hi. Thanks for your question.

KarayanMD :

I will be happy to help.

KarayanMD :

I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.

KarayanMD :

Have you ever had brain imaging?

KarayanMD :

Like an MRI or CT scan?

Customer:

no

KarayanMD :

That would often be a good start if they have been getting more frequent, but most likely will not show any major problems if these are indeed migraines.

Customer:

ok

KarayanMD :

In terms of treatment, there are many different medications available that will be stronger and usually more effective than tylenol for migraine.

Customer:

than what meds would they give me if the mri is negative

KarayanMD :

The most commonly used class of medications are the triptans, which include imitrex (sumatriptan) and maxalt (rizatriptan).

KarayanMD :

These are a couple good starting medications which are fairly specific for migraine.

Customer:

what that take care of all my problems like the nausea and vomiting?

KarayanMD :

It certainly can.

KarayanMD :

If you treat the migraine early with triptans, it can often get rid of the headache and associated symptoms like nausea/vomiting.

Customer:

Would that take care of the pain also or would they prescribe something else for the pain

KarayanMD :

It often can take care of the pain also, all in one medication.

KarayanMD :

There are also daily preventive medications such as topamax (topiramate) which can prevent the migraines from coming on in the first place, in patients with frequent migraines.

Customer:

so if it is migraines thats the only medicine they would prescribe?

KarayanMD :

Initially, for abortive treatment (when the headache occurs), one triptan can often do the trick.

Customer:

Would you say that 4 to 5 times a month is frequent?

KarayanMD :

Yes, that is starting to get frequent, so preventive medication would be an option.

KarayanMD :

But if the migraine goes away very quickly with the triptan, a preventive would not be mandatory.

Customer:

ok so how much would they give of both medicines and how often would I get it?

KarayanMD :

Imitrex comes with 9 pills monthly in most cases.

Customer:

So your saying it also depends on how I react from the medicine to if they would give the one that is preventitive right?

KarayanMD :

That is correct.

KarayanMD :

It just requires an evaluation and a discussion, as every patient is different.

Customer:

What was the name of the medicine that can prevent the migraine how often would I take that?

KarayanMD :

Topamax (topiramate).

KarayanMD :

50mg twice daily at the FDA approved dosage.

KarayanMD :

It takes a few weeks to titrate up to that dosage.

Customer:

ok but a neurologist would be the one to see right?

KarayanMD :

That is correct, although a primary doctor in some cases will feel comfortable prescribing triptans.

KarayanMD :

If you have a choice, see a neurologist.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

does it sound to you that it might be a migraine?

KarayanMD :

Please let me know if there are more questions. You are welcome and best of luck. Please click on happy faces (positive response) if this has been helpful. Bonuses appreciated.

KarayanMD :

Very likely, if you take the odds.

Customer:

Yes, you were very helpful.

KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.