dr-megasmart
dr-megasmart, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board-certified neurologist with 21 years experience. Advanced training in epilepsy, stroke, and critical care neurology
61956424

I am 36 year old male. I have a headache at the base of my

I am 36 year old male. I have a headache at the base of my skull... mostly the left side. My neck is also in pain and feels very tight. I can also feel a stinging pain in my jaw when I touch it... just under my ears. This has been going on for about four days. It's really disrupting my sleep. I have tried ice packs which seem to help for a while... heat packs... icy hot... and have taken Walgreens brand tension headache (OTC) medication. What else can I do? Should I be worried?

dr-megasmart :

Based upon the description of your symptoms a muscular cause is likely. Often, symptoms from the neck may radiate into the jaw and the head, and are exacerbated by movements. Did you injure your neck or change your physical routine over the past couple of weeks (e.g., begin a new exercise regimen); do you have any symptoms extending into your arms such as pain or weakness (which might suggest radiculopathy, meaning pinched nerve in the neck, again possibly due to too much physical exertion). If the symptoms continue to both you, you should consider seeing your primary MD who can decide if you need imaging studies of your neck and/or head. He/she may then refer you to neurology or orthopedics, but I suspect these studies will be normal. Additional treatment may include physical therapy and chiropractic evaluation.

Customer:

Yes, I have recently joined a gym and have been on a few long hikes... trying to beat the rainy season blues up here in the Pacific North West. I would say this pain started two days after my last big hike. Also, I have been under a lot of emotional stress as my girlfriend is Bipolar and she gets very depressed in the winter months.The pain is not in my arms... but my back is very stiff and sore especially between my shoulder blades. Last night I took a shower and applied a Salonpass Casicum patch to that area on my back as well as Icy Hot to my upper neck. Then I took a Tylenol PM and was able to sleep through the night. I do feel better today.

dr-megasmart :

Hi, OK. Based upon your additional comments your headaches are likely tension-type, extending into your neck. I would suggest seeing a chiropractor who can help to manage some of your symptoms, and to go easy on your exercise regimen.

Hi Jacustomer, Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm happy I could be of assistance to you! Let me know if you have any other questions.