Dr. Garg
Dr. Garg, Other
Experience:  Neurologist. Expertise in MS, Dementia, Parkinson's Disease, Stroke, Peripheral Nerve Disorders
73350803

Over the past year, my lower back and my right hip have started

Over the past year, my lower back and my right hip have started to hurt. The pain is often so bad that it takes me a few minutes to stand up when seated and when I sit, to adjust to the ache that seems to travel up my spine. When I wake up in the morning, it is also hard to stand up and painful to walk for a few minutes. Eventually, that works itself out but is repeated daily. My hands have started being difficult to open and shut without pain in the joints and my right hand is noticeably swollen. Both my hands and feet get unusually cold and numb and take me soaking them in hot water to feel normal. What is going on? I am a 46 year old female. Thanks.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Garg replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Garg :

Have you had any imaging

Dr. Garg :

such an MRI to help diagnose your symptoms

Dr. Garg :

?

Dr. Garg :

Have you seen a doctor?

Customer:

No MRI but went to an Urgent Care doctor....said it was over exertion

Dr. Garg :

Okay given your systems, you really need to go to a primary care doctor

Dr. Garg :

so that hey can in order rule out things that may cause some of your systems.

Dr. Garg :

Given that the pain goes down your spine, the question is is there something wrong with your spinal cord - an MRI would elp with that

Dr. Garg :

Given the pain in your joints and swelling, I'd be worried about something like a rheumatic disorder - lupus? RA? its hard to say w/o seeing you

Dr. Garg :

I would not keep going to an acute care clinic

Dr. Garg :

you need close follow up

Dr. Garg :

with a single doctor who knows you, who can collect all the data from your labs and guide yoru treatment

Dr. Garg :

this could be Fibromyalgia, CRPS

Dr. Garg :

Those are some of the things that come to mind

Customer:

No primary care doctor, no insurance....any suggestions other than see a doctor? I own a small business and to insure myself and my family would put me out of business! Cannot burden our overburdened public health center with what seem like small issues

Dr. Garg :

have you considered medicaid?

Dr. Garg :

you really need to be evaluated by a professional

Dr. Garg :

honestly

Dr. Garg :

"My hands have started being difficult to open and shut without pain in the joints and my right hand is noticeably swollen"

Dr. Garg :

this could be very bad

Dr. Garg :

I dont' know, but it needs to be seen

Dr. Garg :

the swelling is a big concern

Customer:

In Louisiana, a person cannot make more than $128.00 a week to qualify for Medicad

Dr. Garg :

I'm sorry to hear that, talk to a doctor explain to him your financial difficulty

Dr. Garg :

he may be able to see you at a reduced cost for cash

Dr. Garg :

I would have no problems seeing a patient like you in my clinic

Dr. Garg :

but I'm not in LA

Customer:

Do I need to see a primary care doctor or is there a particular field I need to try and contact?

Dr. Garg :

no see a primary

Dr. Garg :

he'll get a sense of whats going on

Dr. Garg :

and treat you at the lowest possible cost

Dr. Garg :

if he needs help with a specialists, he'll refer you

Dr. Garg :

i'm sorry that i can't give you a diagnosis, but its hard to tell someone whats wrong with them w/o seeing them in person and doing an exam

Dr. Garg :

but my strong suggestion is to get evaluated sooner rather than later

Dr. Garg :

money comes and goes

Dr. Garg :

but your health is the most important thing

Dr. Garg :

any other questions?

Customer:

No, thank you for your suggestions.

Dr. Garg :

PM with questions

Dr. Garg :

feedback is appreciated

Dr. Garg :

we're only compensated for excelletn ratings

Dr. Garg, Other
Experience: Neurologist. Expertise in MS, Dementia, Parkinson's Disease, Stroke, Peripheral Nerve Disorders